Waste pipe on a dishwasher

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by enat, Jun 1, 2021.

1. enat

enat New Member

We've had a recurring problem on a brand new Sharp dishwasher of it stopping mid-way through the wash cycle. After a couple of misdiagnosis when they did not even turn the machine on to check it, the engineer finally pulled the inbuilt dishwasher out and said that the waster pipe is too low, ie. at a too low angle horizontally which prevents the waster pipe draining and stops the cycle (photo attached). In light of previous mis-diagnosis, I was wondering if, looking at the photo, this waste pipe is indeed too low as I do not know which angle it is supposed to be and whether to trust this report.

Attached Files:

2. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

Whilst not a dishwasher engineer I would agree with him having never seen a low level discharge plumbed in that way. Is there no mention of how it should be or even a picture in the booklet which came with the m/c or online.

3. enat

enat New Member

It was plumbed in during flat renovation and I have no idea what instructions the builder followed.

4. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

It's not plumbed in correctly at all. May even allow smells from the drains to enter the appliance as the waste Pipework doesn't appear be include a trap .

Muzungu likes this.
  5. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Doesn't look right to me. The outlet pipe from the dishwasher should be looped up preferably as high as the bottom of the worktop, above the level that the sink is likely to be filled, and then back down onto the spigot before the trap. Is that the sink outlet to the left going vertical? If so emptying the sink will likely fill up the bottom of the dishwasher.

just pumps likes this.
  6. enat

enat New Member

Thank you all for your replies, it gives me more confidence to go ahead and have the waste pipe fixed.

Muzungu and just pumps like this.