waste pipe - solvent weld, push fit

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Dave H, Apr 8, 2005.

1. Dave H

Dave H New Member

What is the best solution for the waste pipes in my ensuite? The floor will be tiled so once laid I want the least chance of leaks. The pipe coming through the wall from the soil stack is the 40mm push fit kind and access to this outside is difficult so I would ideally need to connect to this. I have bought a McAlpine wetroom drain for the shower area which has a solvent weld outlet on it.

From what I have read I will need a compression fitting to connect the two different types of pipe. Is this correct? Which system will be the most reliable for the rest of the pipe run and joins - solvent weld, push fit or compression?

2. solent weld is the most reliable, and takes up the least space.

I beleive your right, there are two slighty different size pipes... not sure which 2 are the same size from solvent weld, compression & push fit. (think it may be push fit)

3. britishblue

britishblue New Member

You will need compression fittings to join the two types of pipe. Solvent weld pipe is slightly too big to fit into a pushfit fitting.

BB

Mike11232 likes this.
  4. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

Push fit pipe is made from a different material to solvent weld and as said is smaller. Solvent glue wont glue the push fit pipes at all.

I would use solvent weld throughout, guaranteed never to leak.

5. saint dave

saint dave New Member

You will aslo find that different manufactures have slightly different outside diamiters, EG Osma and Polypipe, So when you buy your fittings ensure you but the pipe from the same source. Agree with above solvent weld is the most reliable

6. rocketron

rocketron New Member

I keep a stock off compression fittings, but i only use them when i go from push fit to solvent when i change pipework. Or if you need to get into it unblock, as behind mens urinals. **** again this changed an autoflush on mens urinal tank, it still overflowed. it was blocked at the chrome fitting what feeds the water thru into the basin.

7. simwall

simwall New Member

I've never really considered solvent weld for 40mm/32mm waste i;ve always used pushfit or compression, guess i'm a bit timid about not sealing correctly. I've used it to replace cistern overflows on F&E and header tanks. Presumably if the joint is made correctly it should last then?

8. I've never had a solvent weld pipe leak.

As the name suggests, not only does the solvent glue the pipes together, it actually melts the plastic slightly "welding the joint". It is by far better then push fit or compression.

The only downside is it can't be demounted once fitted, you get one shot to get it right.

9. Riz1

Riz1 New Member

I just started using it, brilliant, never use push fit again

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Solvent weld all the way.

Just make sure you got ventilation, when using the glue, or you'll get high as a kite.:oops:

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

They posted this 10 years ago... wonder if it has leaked yet?

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

A lot of old, very old posts are resurfacing lately.:eek:

13. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Freezing water can 'push' push fit fittings apart. Not that there should be water left in a waste pipe anyway, but I do come across quite a few badly fitted waste pipes when refurbishing bathrooms. Generally they have not supported long runs causing the pipe to sag, or by defying gravity with pipes running up hill! Either way, there's water left in the pipe which can potentially freeze.