Waste vent pipe

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by English-spartan, Feb 14, 2020.

1. English-spartan

English-spartan New Member

Hi I asked last night but think I didn’t make much sense. Has anyone used a soil waste pipe vent. I want to install one and remove the soil waste pipe vent out of my bathroom. Thanks.

2. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

Still doesn't make sense

3. English-spartan

Basically any issues fitting one of these?

Attached Files:

4. English-spartan

Instead of having the soil waste pipe going up out through the roof

5. andy48

andy48 Screwfix Select

1. What you've illustrated is an Air Admittance Valve (AAV)
    2. It must be mounted to be above the spillover level of the highest appliance to which it is connected. Usually this is the wash hand basin in a bathroom, so the AAV must be at the same level as, or higher than, the rim of the bowl of the basin.
    3. An AAV can be boxed in, but there must be some means of air getting into the enclosure.
    4. As far as I can remember, there must be at least one open vent on a run of 6 properties.
    5. There is virtually nothing to go wrong with an ordinary open vent to above the roof. With an AAV you have the possibility of mechanical malfunction.

Jitender likes this.
  6. English-spartan

Thanks Andy.

I think you’re right by the sounds of it. I’ll just keep the original pipe work in place. As in my picture I’ve seen loads that are installed very low. I take it there’s a risk if it is so low?

7. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

You'd have to have a blockage somewhere in your system to require a 110mm AAV to be above the basin height. My basin outflow is via a 40mm pipe and even if the basin were full and then emptied, there is no way my AAV would overflow. There are far easier ways for the basin's water to got out of the pipe than via the AAV. There's not even enough water in a full basin of water to fill up the 110mm pipe between it and the AAV.

Jitender likes this.