water based eggshell/satin

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Barn Raiser, May 28, 2008.

1. Barn Raiser

Barn Raiser New Member

Ok. I'm ready to try it. I give in.

Please those of you that have taken the plunge; does a good water based eggshell that covers exist or is it wishful thinking.

Ps Im not ready to completely sell out and buy a tin of Solo. I'll leave that to the old folks getting there 15% off at B&Q on Wednesday's who want to paint a garage window sill.

2. Guttercat

Guttercat New Member

Ok. I'm ready to try it. I give in.

Ps Im not ready to completely sell out and buy a tin
    of Solo. I'll leave that to the old folks getting
    there 15% off at B&Q on Wednesday's who want to paint
    a garage window sill.

I'm using Solo Satin on a house right now. It would be no good for you as it's oil based and to get a good finish, it does take a certain bit of attention to detail and skill. ;)

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Inside or out?

Inside I've used Dulux Diamond Satin and also Diamond Eggshell, both OK'ish but the one I rate is Brewers own make Albany Acrylic Eggshell...dry's out beautiful.

The only water based paint I use on exterior woodwork is Dulux Quick Drying Primer undercoat, but others on this site have used the Dulux Aquatech range.

4. Burlington Bertie

Burlington Bertie New Member

Not used water based eggshell, but have used water based satin inside and outside. Never had a coverage problem. I don't see why anyone would use eggshell anyway, it's finish is not that different to satin. I am not yet sure whether the water based paints last as long as oil based, but for the pro decorator working to tight schedules they are a great benefit due to the really fast drying times.

5. Barn Raiser

Barn Raiser New Member

thanks for replies...I'll give it a go.

6. jockster

jockster New Member

Hiya Barn raiser

I'm using said Dulux Aquatech (varnishes & opaques) along with Crown/B&Q water based gloss and I'm very pleased with all the results.

The Aquatech exterior stuff is particularly good as it is touch dry in less than 1 hour & recoatable in 1-2 hours, with a very elastic finish. As I've said before its great for those 'iffy' weather days.

Jockster

7. Telmay

Telmay New Member

Albany Acrylic Eggshell...dry's out beautiful

I will second that

8. steven l

steven l New Member

Hello all
    My first post so here goes
    I would also consider giving in to water based on some jobs but i worry it isn't as durable and as strong as oil based so never want to take the risk.Have always used oil based, and have had no complaints or come backs and want it to stay that way,so i need more convincing before i take plunge.Perhaps i will have to try it on my own house first.

9. Telmay

Telmay New Member

Steven, you will have no choice in 2010 mate so you may as well start getting used to it now, but I totally agree about the durability and finish :)

10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Also steven get yourself a few PURDY brushes as they give a far superior finish with the waterbased satin, eggshell and gloss paints.

11. I must admit to having been a bit of a water based nazi until recently primarily for environmental reasons and had bigged up the pro's of using low odour, non yellowing products however I'm now using oil again for most jobs. I always offer my client the choice and explain the pros's and cons of both types of paint. here's my take on it.

Water based:

the pro's; quick drying, low odour, non yellowing

the con's; brush marks (even with purdy's), not as hard wearing (even diamond satinwood, this becomes very brittle and chips) and dare I say it it's too white. It looks fantastic at first (and so does oil based) but it soon becomes grubby especially on banister rails and around door handles.

So until 2010 or whenever or if my clients specify water based I'll be using Crown Solo (thanks again Guttercat) mainly because the finish is smoother and tougher and more easily cleaned. It will yellow and I'll tell my customers that, but by the time it does most people want to redec anyway.

12. steven l

steven l New Member

Just a thought, i used to paint boats years ago,will there be exceptions in 2010 as i can't imagine people wanting their boats painted with water based varnish/paint inside or out.

13. Burlington Bertie

Burlington Bertie New Member

Why would they not want them painted with water based paint?.If the law says high VOC's paint will not be manufactured then they will have no choice in the matter

14. T-C

T-C New Member

oil based paints will still be a round after 2010 sikkins already have a complient product, two years ahead of the dead line and its better than anything i have ever used. T-C