water collection after replacing a new basin waste

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by emily0834, May 22, 2021.

Tags:
  1. emily0834

emily0834 New Member

hello all, i have just got a plumber around to replace a new basin waste. However there is always a bit of water collection around the waste after it's been replaced. I am worried it might easily get molded if water constantly standing. The plumber assured me that there is nothing to do with the installation but with the product design as the metal is quite thick. I am not really convinced of this as i can see the waste is sitting on a very thick base of the silicone underneath. I wonder if this to do with the water collection and if anyone have any suggestion on how to solve it?

Attached Files:

2. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

I would agree that it looks like it is sitting high on the silicone however the only way to be sure is to remove it, remove the silicone and offer up the fitting dry.

3. If it’s the silicone that’s making it sit up high then I would say he can’t have tightened it properly, because the waste would have pulled up tight and the silicone squirted out.

Sometimes the wastes do sit like that if the basin moulding and the waste don’t meet up well.

Like has been said above the only way to really tell is to take it out and offer it up with no silicone on.

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Definitely not right and as you say, will collect gunge and silicon will go manky and scale build up from standing water ...... and it looks a mess (ok, photos zoomed in I realise but something ain't right here)

Maybe there's the supplied washer sitting under that sili and due to the moulding on the basin / size of washer / chrome flange to waste / its just not fully compatible

In that case, bedding the waste on Plumbers Mait would have been better, tightening up, clear away the excess and possibly a better fit could have been achieved

Its just not right to leave like that, even if not leaking, its a partial bodge job and rubbish excuse from the plumber

Who supplied the waste ?

As above, only way to rectify is to remove the waste, clear away the sili and ID where the problem lies

However, I'm guessing the plumber has been paid and is now on to several other jobs, all completed with as much professionalism and pride as yours :eek:

ps, the pistons on those pop up wastes are prone to getting stuck with the plug jammed either open or closed, not the plumbers fault here but just poor design

Replacement pistons easily available online, just need to ID the matching size
    Something else to look forward to in the future :mad:

Last edited: May 22, 2021
  5. emily0834

emily0834 New Member

Thanks all for your help, much appreciated! Yes the plumber has insisted he has done nothing wrong just me being difficult :mad: but I have managed to get half of the money back so moving on then. I wanted to find another plumber to fix but worried if found another rubbish one  do you think this can be done by a little bit DYI practice? Can I use the same pop up waste just take it out and clean it properly? Or anyone can suggest a better quality brand? The current waste was supplied by the plumber and the brand is called "Esteem mushroom clicker slotted basin", has anyone heard of it?

6. just pumps

Yes you can do it (hopefully), Best course of action is remove it and remove all traces of whatever he used from the basin and the fitting then offer up the fitting dry to see how it fits before buying another.

7. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Roll you sleeves up, and even if you're a first time DIYer you'll do a better job of it than the botch job your so-called plumber did. He's a disgrace to his trade if he thinks that his handiwork is acceptable.
    I hate to tell you this, but you're going to be replacing your pop-up basin wastes on a reasonably regular basis. I have yet to find one that lasts even 5 years, yet the olde style plug on a chain would last 100 years or more. I have just replaced my last pop-up basin waste ... never again.

FlyByNight likes this.
  8. just pumps

9. emily0834

emily0834 New Member

Thank you all for your wonderful advice. I feel very much motivated now to get on the job myself;);) hope not to make a disaster o_Oo_Oheading to the local b&q now and try to get some tools and plumbers mait?

10. emily0834

emily0834 New Member

Hello all life savers, I have managed to get the waste up and yes it's indeed loads of silicone underneath. I have now cleared them all out. I realised there is a piece of black rubber ring around the waste which seems also causing the water collection. Should I get rid of it? Also there is no plumbers mite in B&Q so I have got a silicone instead. However after I sealed it all up the water start leaking so not sure it is because of the silicone or there is something wrong with the waste? Any suggestions please

Attached Files:

11. rogerk101

How long did you leave the silicone to set? I would normally leave it a good 12 hours min but preferably 24 hours.
    Where is the leak coming from? My guess is that it's coming from the threads just below the slots for the basin overflow. (At least that's where I always seem to find leaks on new installs). I usually wrap 15 to 20 turns of PTFE tape on the threads there and that sorts it out. If it's a well made waste, then you can usually get away with fewer wraps, but if there is a lot of play between the thread of the nut and the thread of the waste, then I would use 20 turns.
    Good luck and let us know how you get on.

12. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

BQ do sell Plumbers Mait but perhaps your store was out of stock ?
    They also sell another brand of 'plumbers putty' - cant remember which one

As I suggested above, its possible that the supplied washer isn't allowing the waste to fully sit in the well of the basin
    I'm diy so not fitted hundreds of these but have used plumbers mait on several occasions as either the washer doesn't fit (as with yours) or a flimsy foam gasket is supplied with some that I don't rate

Silicone will all squidge out when tightening the waste, don't think its a good use in this situation
    Would wait until you can get some 'Plumbers Putty' and start again

Silicone is sometimes used on the underneath seal in conjunction with the supplied washer

Well done though for cracking on with this yourself
    Once you have the putty, you've got this sorted :)

https://www.screwfix.com/p/evo-stik...lumbing-_-plumbersputty&_requestid=447763#_=p

13. emily0834

emily0834 New Member

Oh i didn't know you have to leave it for 12 hours for the siliconeI tried it straight away after fitting it on as I saw the plumber did the same now I need some PEFE tape... Yes the leak is coming from below the slots for the basin overflow and it is quite a lot

14. rogerk101

You mean the cowboy dressed up as a plumber! :D

15. emily0834

emily0834 New Member

I should be alerted when he told me he was studying art before training as a plumber

16. just pumps

Deleted member 246321 likes this.
  17. Get rid of that top washer and use a squidge of silicone. Push the waste fitting through the sink and fill in the gap below the sink between the water fitting and ceramic with silicone, then put the washer on, and tighten nut. I normally test straight away, and they are fine. Wipe away excess silicone below, any silicone that squeezes out at the top I normally spray with soapy water then carefully wipe away using my finger and a cloth.

The basin mate washer kits justpumps linked to are supposed to be brilliant and they do away for the requirement of silicone, plumbers Mait or tape below the basin. I must admit I’ve never used them, although I have just got some in stock at work ready for next time. Might be worth a try, they look very easy to use, rather than trying to seal below.

18. just pumps

Wasnt showing, probably because because they call it something else. ;) Anyway worth keeping a couple in the van for the odd badly cast basin, can be a real Get out of jail free card. :)

(Oh dear, looks like we have a troll)

Deleted member 246321 likes this.
  19. emily0834

emily0834 New Member

Thanks everyone. A very quick question - if I do use plumbers mite, which area should I putting on? A, B or C?

Attached Files: