Water divining

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Deleted member 33931, Nov 23, 2017.

1. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

I'll raise you.
    £10,000 says you're talking rubbish.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  2. Gulp - I cave...

longboat likes this.
  3. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

Reading through the amount of research into this topic, it reads more like the jurys out on this one.

http://www.tricksterbook.com/ArticlesOnline/Dowsing.htm

4. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Actually DA I never suggested i had a gift, just that I can do this (and reverse a trailer on mirrors and bowl a doosra - but not as successfully as the other two).
    Does your scepticism extend to people who can paint, draw, make music or do complex maths in their heads? That's a gift!

5. Ok, Willy - you can do this.

And you aren't amazed as to how or why.

Detecting water underground using just yourself and a couple of rods is a similar talent to painting or making music or doing math?

Oooookkkkaaaaaayyyyyy.

(Tell us, Willy - how did you vote in the Ref?)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2017
    WillyEckerslike likes this.
  6. :D Something :D is :D definitely :D out, :D Fills. :D

I bet that site has a great chapter on the credibility of Brexit too...

7. WillyEckerslike

I suppose that I should be when you put it like that and although inquisitive by nature, it has never occurred to me to question it further other than my own simplistic assumption below.
    When I was taught about it at college (and shown the technique) it was on the basis that it works for some people but not all and they weren't sure why. Although it was a very long time ago I seem to recall that about half of us could fairly accurately pick out lines across different sections of the college grounds where the rods reacted. Because a good number of us were 'successful' I took it as read that it worked for some people and that I was one of them.
    I've never tried to find water as such but have successfully found a variety of pipes some of which have been water pipes but more often drainage pipes and, on a couple of occasions, really deep in the ground - over 2m. Therefore I have assumed that what I am 'detecting' is disturbances in the ground that manifest as alterations to magnetic fields.
    Out of interest, the water pipe my sceptical son found had been buried nearly 50 years ago and he hadn't a clue it was there. I absolutely know it's not scientific.
    Maybe I'll investigate it some more....

8. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Loser.

9. If it ain't 'scientific', then what is it?

10. WillyEckerslike

I meant a scientific test under controlled conditions.
    You edited your earlier post whilst I was replying. We've had this discussion. I voted remain but unlike some I have acknowledged the result and want our politicians (all of them) to get the absolute best deal they can for us.

11. I don't believe you.

Just like - in your heart of hearts (ie common sense) - you don't really believe you have this 'gift' either. Offered a double-blind, completely impartial scientific test, you'd refuse to participate.

Obviously I cannot prove my assumptions above - but that's exactly what you are relying on.

So go off and find a source of water.

12. WillyEckerslike

Now you are calling me a liar.
    If you can be bothered you will find our earlier exchanges and I heeded some good advice you gave me which was not to bother reading posts about Brexit which to all intents and purposes I haven't. How was I to know that a post you started about water divining (why did you post that?) would descend into another pointless argument about something we can do nothing about?

13. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

He's a card isn't he.

14. WillyEckerslike

Challenge accepted. I don't know what a double blind is (unless it's someone who has been poked in both eyes which I wouldn't relish) however what have I got to lose? You don't believe I can do it so that can't get any worse and if I'm at all successful you won't believe it. Time and place.......

15. WillyEckerslike

You've spelt that wrongly. It doesn't even sound like that......

16. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

Sounds like..James Hunt?

The double blind reference is if for example, scientists test a water diviner who doesn't know where the water is located, BUT, the person who is doing
    the testing does know, then the tester may, when the diviner gets close to the water, exhibit some form of body language, like shouting out "you're getting warmer", so a double blind would involve none of the people involved would know where the water is, except for the diviner of course as his rods would be twitching.

17. WillyEckerslike

Thank you for explaining that and as to the other reference I shouldn't have said that. I was annoyed. I can't block him as I won't know where and when he's arranged the test!

18. Lol - Fills meet Willy. Willy, Fills.

You two are gonna get on just fine.

Oh Wills, so confident in your assurance that a real challenge to your 'abilities' just won't happen. So "BRING IT ON!" you say!

And here's our dear Fills, so sunk in his cesspit of Brexit self-loathing that he'll cling on to any passing tail coat.

You compliment one another perfectly.

All I can honestly say, Willy, is, if I had your amazing gift - being able to detect water below ground where no surface indication exists, and at no cost to anyone other than a pie and a pint - then I can honestly say (did I say 'honestly' twice? Jeepers, that must mean I really mean it) I would not be leading my current dull and sad life in rural Devon, but would be offering my services - FOC (pies and pints excepted) - to anyone in the WHOLE WIDE WORLD who would benefit from it.

And that's lots of peeps.

And that would make me a truly fulfilled person. Happy beyond words. I would die happy. Guaranteed.

But - alas - I think I'll keep my gift to myself. I mean, it makes me feel a bit 'spooky' every time I use it. Can't cope with that.

Perhaps it's time to 'fess up that I, too, have a gawd-given gift. I can stop world hunger, poverty and warfare just by pressing my fingertips to my temples. But, every time I try to use my powers, it gives me a touch of bile.

Soz, world, I cannae cope with tha'. So you'll just have to sort it out yersel's.

Burp.

19. WillyEckerslike

I know I shouldn't rise to this but you really can be a f##king tw#t. Why are you being rude and condescending to me and not the staff of the overwhelming majority of our water companies as well? I haven't been rude to you - until now anyway. It is clear to me now that you are a coward behind a keyboard who has offered a challenge and backed off when it has been accepted. You need to grow up DA.

20. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

Now now James.

Thousands of people worldwide are already offering that service mate so you might as well carry on leading your sad life in Devon.