Water heater for kitchen in apartment

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by DKW554, Jun 29, 2020.

1. DKW554

DKW554 New Member

Hi, I have a small flat/apartment with electric only. I have a problem with the hot water supply in the kitchen and am considering getting a small electric heater thing to go under the sink or above the sink. Has anyone done this/have any recommendations on what type?

2. robgul

robgul Member

I fitted an Ariston under-sink heater in my daughter's studio flat - does the job and a much more economical solution than using the immersion heater - the on-demand hot water flow is OK for washing up etc.

Rob

DKW554 and masterdiy like this.
  3. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

As rob says, Ariston.
    [​IMG]

DKW554 likes this.
  4. DKW554

DKW554 New Member

Thank you both so much. Will I need a plumber or electrician to fit or someone who does both?

5. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

If you go for one with a small hot water store (say 10 litres) which is enough for washing dishes etc. then you should just be able to plug it into a regular switched socket with the supplied 13A fused plug.
    If you go for an instant hot water heater, which will be 7kW minimum and even up to 12kW, then you'll need a new circuit, which means that it'll need an electrician as it'll be notifiable (new circuit and in a kitchen).

6. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

You'll need an electrical plumber. ;) Good ones are hard to find.

A good handy man, who knows what he is doing.

7. DKW554

DKW554 New Member

Thank you all - really appreciate it

8. DKW554

DKW554 New Member

Bought an Ariston, and now it looks like I need pricey pieces of kit to fit it too - argh

9. robgul

robgul Member

It also required an "expansion vessel" in the plumbing.

10. rogerk101

Like what?
    If you're referring to expansion vessel and pressure relief valve, then you'll also need a G3 certified plumber to fit it as it's an unvented system.
    If however you put a pressure relief valve that is factory set to 5 bars that drips all expansion water into a drain, then it's not an unvented system, so doesn't need a G3 certified plumber to install it.

11. DKW554

DKW554 New Member

12. rogerk101

If you go for the expansion vessel, then you're looking at an unvented system, which must be designed and installed by a G3 certified plumber.
    If you use a system that drips the expansion water into a drain, then that's a vented system, so doesn't need a G3 certified plumber.
    The only time you would need a pressure reducing valve is if your water mains are at a static pressure of higher than 3.5 bars, which in the UK is extremely unlikely.