Water ingress through gable end

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Cassas00, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Cassas00

Cassas00 Member

Anyone have any idea where this water could be getting in? Some floorboards were damp in the corner of the first floor bedroom, and on sanding I have discovered this wet patch. Only happens with wind driven rain.

I have attached pictures of the inside and outside.

Other details: gable end wall, 9 inch solid brick.

Attached Files:

2. gadget man

gadget man Screwfix Select

Leaking roof maybe?

3. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

Driving in through subsidence crack

Howard Hindle likes this.
  4. Cassas00

Cassas00 Member

The crack is on the other side of the window, could it track that far? Well I know it could but the window should stop it getting that far across without water showing elsewhere before hand wouldn't it?

5. fullycharged

fullycharged New Member

Could it be the window frame letting water in, either between the window and render/wall, or within the frame itself ( remove glass unit and see if water is standing in the frame)?

6. Cassas00

Cassas00 Member

I've just had a brand new window put in, but water is still getting in somehow.

Guessing other two options are the render or roof?

Howard Hindle likes this.
  7. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Tracking through small cracks in the render or missing sealant perhaps, no offence but it really doesn’t look like a brand new window, or perhaps the photos are misleading.

8. Cassas00

Cassas00 Member

No offense taken! That's the old window :D

9. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Did you have damp before the new window was fitted?

Most likely coming from the roof.

10. Cassas00

Cassas00 Member

Yea it was there before new window was fitted, we first noticed during wind driven rain, usually fine on normal rain, even heavy, but wind driven rain it is worse.

11. FUNDIMOLD

FUNDIMOLD Active Member

You seem to have a hairline crack in the render on the outside wall (just visible under the sill on the right in the photo). That is enough to allow water through in heavy rain - I'd fill the crack and keep an eye on the inside wall. You won't have to wait long to see positive or negative results.

Hopefully you'll be attending to the larger crack sooner rather than later!

12. Cassas00

Cassas00 Member

Yea, I'm getting the flashing sorted Monday on that single story extension as that's in a terrible state and then the whole rear is being re-rendered mid march. So I suppose this is just a temp fix. I suppose if it still happens after that it will be the verge/roof

13. FUNDIMOLD

FUNDIMOLD Active Member

Just for info. I had a similar issue which you can see in the attached photos. The hairline crack was filled, the inner damage to the wall was tidied up and there has been no water ingress since. Now I just have to sort out the rest of my damp wall issues :(

Attached Files:

14. Rad87

Rad87 Member

What do you recommend to fill such cracks?

15. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Cheese

16. Rad87

Rad87 Member

Thanks for very professional reply

17. FUNDIMOLD

FUNDIMOLD Active Member

I think my builder used a cement render. He made the crack bigger/deeper first and then painted over to match the wall. I would add that my wall is made of undressed(?) stone over 2 feet thick and coated in a render of at least 2 inches. Bricks may need a different approach but even a temporary fix with a sealant would help.

Rad87 likes this.
  18. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

Little crack to the bottom right of the window is a continuation of the crack above and to the left, in that it’s caused by the same movement ( left hand corner dropping). It makes no difference what you fill the crack with or even re render the elevation unless you resolve the cause of the movement the problem with persist and reappear.

19. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Always pleased, i mean, cheesed, to help. :oops:

20. Cassas00

Cassas00 Member

How could I solve it? The house is over 100 years old and sitting on clay. I've owned the house for a year and it appears to have gotten no bigger. I think underpinning may be a bit drastic?