Water Ingress when raining

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Gareth Bennett-Ryan, Nov 10, 2019.

  1. Gareth Bennett-Ryan

    Gareth Bennett-Ryan New Member

    Hi everyone,

    Would love your thoughts on this:

    Our kitchen window leaks when it rains heavily. However, it always comes from the very top, so I think the window is fine but the water is getting in elsewhere and then the top of the window is just where it comes out.

    I've attached a few pictures as its easier than trying to explain it.

    Is it just coming through the mortar do you think? Any idea how to locate where it is getting in or if I could seal the outside or something?


    Attached Files:

  2. KIAB

    KIAB Super Member

    Look higher,could be coming in from a 1st floor window,maybe even a gutter & running down inside the cavity.

    Water seldom takes a direct route from A to B,it could be coming in yards away & then working it's way down to the window.
    Gareth Bennett-Ryan likes this.
  3. Jord86

    Jord86 Screwfix Select

    Put up photos of the outside.
    Gareth Bennett-Ryan likes this.
  4. stevie22

    stevie22 Screwfix Select

    Could be as simple as a bit of missed silicone round the frame. Check that first,
    Gareth Bennett-Ryan likes this.
  5. Gareth Bennett-Ryan

    Gareth Bennett-Ryan New Member

    I've siliconed the hell out of the window itself and with good stuff too, so I'd be amazed if it was getting in that way.

    I'll get a picture up of outside tomorrow, it'll be too dark by the time I get home tonight.

    Thanks for everyone's replies so far!
  6. Gareth Bennett-Ryan

    Gareth Bennett-Ryan New Member

    Right here are the photos of outside, hope that's useful.

    Any ideas, guys?

    Attached Files:

  7. Jord86

    Jord86 Screwfix Select

    What was there before the window, patio doors? Are there any trickle vents in the soldier course above the window? No offence but there’s a few places it could be tracking in from, the brickwork isn’t the best.
    Gareth Bennett-Ryan likes this.
  8. KIAB

    KIAB Super Member

    Needs repointing under bathroom window. lead flashing on flat roof looks skimped.
    Gareth Bennett-Ryan likes this.
  9. Tony Goddard

    Tony Goddard Well-Known Member

    My bet is it's getting in where the flat roof section meets the wall, as kiab says the pointing looks very suspect and the flashing is doing nothing to protect against rain driving in from the end.
    Brickwork is pretty dreadful, too late to correct that, but a good re-point will certainly help.
    Gareth Bennett-Ryan likes this.
  10. Emka

    Emka New Member

    Hope you dont mind if join to your conversation. I have similar problem. I moved in to newbuild block with 3 floors, I am on 2nd floor and I am the only one who seemed to have some sort of leak above the window. My internal walls around the window have wet patches/ stains. I think this is called water ingress. I have reported to the company in June within first week of moving. It happened few times when it was raining, however not every rain was giving the water ingress. The company told me that they checked everything: roof, gutters, seals etc. They sorted external stuff and redecorated inside - in August. I had small incident in October again after comfirning that everything is fixed, they rechecked everything again. This morning the building company was ready to redecorate the inside but unfortunately after heavy rain I have wet wall again and its worse than in June. Please advise what can I do. When I am patient and nice with them they ignore me but being agressive with them is no good to me or them . I dont think that they checked what they had to check after first incident thats why it keeps happening. I would like to add a photo but it doesnt allow me as its too big. I will be grateful for your help. Im just worried that It might develop mould in couple years time.
  11. Emka

    Emka New Member

  12. Emka

    Emka New Member

    I managed to attach photo. PS. I have zero knowledge about building stuf and think the building company and developers are using this. Many thanks for your help.
  13. jonathanc

    jonathanc Screwfix Select

    If it is a new build do you have NHBC guarantee? If so then contact NHBC and hope!

    failing that you need to start a polite but formal process. Write to them giving them 28 days to rectify the fault otherwise you will hold them liable for any financial loss you suffer. As this is a flat then the fabric of the building is owned by the freeholder so ultimately you need to pursue the free holder for loss. In terms of assessing loss you need to get a quote for redecoration and pursue the freeholder for that every time it leaks
  14. Gareth Bennett-Ryan

    Gareth Bennett-Ryan New Member

    Just wanna say thank you to everyone for your ideas and advice, I really appreciate it. I'll look into it based on what you guys have said

Share This Page