Water leak from under tank on toilet

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by bond007, Sep 25, 2014.

1. bond007

bond007 Well-Known Member

Guys am after some help please.

I have a water leak from under the toilet tank only when i flush it.

Seem like the water is coming from around where the supply tube connects. Not directly from the supple tube pipe or the connector but its comes from where i have highlighted in the red. Like it slides down from there.

I have attached pictures of where the leak coming from and the Tank.

How do i take the fill valve out?
    How do i empty water in the tank?

What will i have to do to locate where water is leaking from?

Attached Files:

2. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

First of all, if it seems like only a very slight leak, ensure it's not just "condensation" on the bit that fills with cold water (the cistern) Quite common as the year draws on and the air temp gets cooler.
    Secondly,, have you tried tightening the nut on the water feed to the cistern? (that's the bit you've highlighted in red) ;);)

3. bond007

Thanks for the reply. Firstly its not a slight leak, when i press the flush the water kind of comes spiraling out from the entrance of the mouth piece where i have highlighted in red. Its definitely not condensation and i have already checked the nut on the water feed is tight. Like i mentioned before the water is not leaking from the nut of the water feed. Its actually sliding down from the mouthpiece entrance.

Sounds like i will need to take cistern out and check the fitting of it? - any specific way of taking this out?
    Never done this before so am guessing i have to empty the tank first and close the isolator on the water feed? - how fully drain the tank?

So if you look at image 0996, the supply feed is connected to right hand side of tank.

Thanks

4. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Looks like the washer in the flexi hose could be damaged or missing if it only leaks when flushing as this is when the bulk of water is passing through it. Having said that when those parts leak it tends to be a constant leak but worth a look. Worst case replace the flexi.

5. bond007

Well its a new bathroom which is about a year old. Ye i wouldv thought if washer was causing it then be a slight drip constant.

If its not washer what else could it be?

How do i take the cistern out and water?

6. This is weird, man. That ain't the flushing outlet, it's the inlet. So why that should leak only when flushing is a mystery. Unless it's to do with the refilling rather than the akshull draining.

Anyways, James (see what I did there... :rolleyes:), you say you've tightened that nylon nut? Did you give it a quarter-turn or anything, or just check if it was 'tight'?

If the latter, then go back and give it a quarter-turn max - as long as you don't think it's chust far too tight already. If you can 'tweak' it a bit, see if it still leaks.

Ok, if that doesn't work and it's dismantle time - but you don't have to remove the cistern. You 'simply' need to shut off the mains water stopcock - unless there is an isolator valve already on the end of that flexi - which there should be. See a chrome cylindrical fitting? Is there a screw-head on the side? Turn that thro' 90 degrees.

Then flush yer loo - it should empty but not refill. Then place a pan or summat and towels underneath that fitting. Get a good-fitting spanner on that chrome nut, hold the flush assembly inside the cistern firmly, and anti-clockwise that nut; it shouldn't be too tight. Don't lose any small fibre washer underneath.

Pull the hose away, and repeat on that nylon nut. Water will come out until the cistern is fully empty - be prepared.

Undo and lift out the inlet valve assembly.

Have a looksee and report back, please.

7. bond007

Hi, i just checked it was tight enough. But the water doesnt leak from the nut part it from the mouth piece slides out.
    Screw head on isolator, turn 90 degrees clock or anti clockwise?

So if a unscrew the supply tube hose the cistern should just go loose and can remove and have a look?

8. "...the water doesnt leak from the nut part it from the mouth piece slides out." I don't know what you mean there. Where - exactly - does the water appear from?

Isolating valve - the screwhead should be easy to turn (might be initially a wee bitty stiff). Er, turn, um, clockwise. If that doesn't work, then anti...

A quarter turn.

"So if a unscrew the supply tube hose the cistern should just go loose and can remove and have a look?" Sorry, I don't know what you mean there either.

The CHROME nut is part of the flexi hose - that needs undoing first, or else the white nylon nut won't be able to come off.

Hold the inlet valve assembly that's inside the cistern whilst you undo these nuts, or at least during the initial slackening.

Then undo the nylon nut all the way - the inlet valve assembly should lift out and you can examine what washers are there. I think there should be a soft squishy one on the inside at least, and possibly a thin one on the outside too.

You don't have to remove the whole cistern body.

Still a mystery why it leaks from that area as it flushes o_O

9. bond007

Thanks for the help.
    I still don't get it either why it leaks from that place, only when it flushes.

Could they be any other reasons?

Its just the place to manuouver under the tank is very tight so really wanted all this to be a last option. Was hoping be a quicker way to identify why be leaking.

10. I'm as confused as you are, I'm afraid. As you clearly know, it just doesn't make sense for it to leak around the inlet when the loo is flushed.

It is not uncommon for the outlet pipe to leak when it's flushed, for obvious reasons.

Can I suggest; get some bog roll and fully dry the area around that inlet. Is your eyesight spot-on? If not, get a magnifying glass or similar and settle yourself under that cistern - concentrate on that inlet area whilst someone flushes.

Watch very closely - where exactly does the drip form?

11. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

A picture paints a thousand words.

12. joinerjohn1

If it's not the inlet valve that's leaking, and only when you flush it, then it can only be the donut under the cistern. (donut is the generic term for the rather large washer that sits between the cistern outlet and the toilet inlet) You have what's called a "close coupled" toilet there. The way to undo the cistern is to turn the water off and disconnect the flexi pipe from the inlet valve. Then, see the wing nut next to the water inlet? There should be another one on the opposite side of the cistern too. Flush the toilet (to remove as much water as possible) then undo these wing nuts, take the lid off the cistern and see if there are a couple of screws holding it back to the wall. If there is, undo these. The whole cistern should then pull upwards from the toilet. You'll find the donut shaped washer on the bottom of the outlet pipe. This will possible need replacing. Any of the sheds or plumbers merchants should be able to supply a new replacement one. Re-assembly is the exact opposite of the procedure to remove the cistern. Hope this helps. ;););)

13. joinerjohn1

Here's a pic of a close coupled toilet fixing kit (might help you identify the bits) close-coupling-kit-2-inch-flat-plate-ideal-standard-type-08000103-1409-p.jpg

14. bond007

Hi, I already did that before taking the pictures. Flushed a few times and the water was defo not leaking from where the inlet pipe feeds in and locks with the nut. A could see it flowing down from round the inlet area.

Been baffling my head all day. Will double check it one more time before I go with action plan of opening cistern.

15. bond007

Thanks for the advice. I will let you know how things unfold. Really not looking forward to doing if a end up making a pigs ear of it.

Anyone know what rough charges for a plumber to do this work would be?

16. joinerjohn1

Dunno how much a "rough plumber" :p:p would charge. but,, have a go yourself. It's a fairly straight forward job. Should take under half an hour to get the cistern off, replace the donut and put it all back together. ;-) ;-)

17. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

I'm a rough plumber..:p:p

18. joinerjohn1

Only you know that PB :p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

19. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

And my customers JJ.:p:p:p:p:p:p

20. joinerjohn1

You've obviously not watched Tomp's Tips on Youtube then. Do so and you'll soon be a real plumber my son. ;););)