Water whistling coming from a specific area

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Ardian Kurti, May 26, 2018.

1. Ardian Kurti

Ardian Kurti New Member

Hi,

I am having some difficulty identifying what the cause of my problem is. Whenever I turn on my shower and any other taps such as the kitchen sink, bathroom sink I keep getting a noise coming from a specific area of my kitchen. The sound only lasts while the taps/shower is on. I have tried turning off the taps one by one to identify where the problem might lay. When I turn on the the taps fully there is no problem, but it makes a noise when the water both hot and cold starts to mix. The noise comes from underneath my combi boiler which is located in my kitchen. That is also where the main water comes from.

I do share the same water feed with 2 other flats above me, would that have something to do with the issue?

If anyone can help us out, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  2. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Try tweaking the stopcock slightly whilst the noise is happening.

3. Ardian Kurti

Ardian Kurti New Member

Hi,

I have already tried tweaking the stopcock, I have even replaced it with a new one.

Thanks for your reply

4. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Have you any other valves on your mains pipe? A pressure reducing valve perhaps?

5. Ardian Kurti

Ardian Kurti New Member

I have two valves on my mains. One on the ground floor that feeds water to my boiler. Another one on the first floor on the same line that feeds cold water for bathroom and toilet.

Thank you

6. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Look for a fairly big looking valve (some have a pressure gauge) that might be a pressure reducing valve. Might need replaced. Or a check valve might be causing same problem

7. Ardian Kurti

Ardian Kurti New Member

Hi,

I have checked that valve and no luck. If i leave the shower on fully on mixer hot and cold and leave my kitchen sink on just slightly open either hot or cold it doesn't make anymore noise. Would it be because I have not installed a pressure regulating valve in my property after the stop cock? Because I have no idea how to explain why it doesn't make noise in that instance.

Thank you

8. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Best you have the incoming pressure to your home tested. You really don’t want or need much more than 3 bar and if it is 5 plus bar, I suggest a 3 bar pressure reducing valve is installed.
    On a related issue with high pressure, try to have taps airators (on end of spout) suitable for high pressure, so to save water and prevent splashing etc

9. Ardian Kurti

Ardian Kurti New Member

Hi guys,

Thank you for your help, I have resolved the problem, it was the only bit of pipe that I did not change which was a non return valve which had picked up a lot of limescale. I changed that and the noise was gone.

Thanks again!