Waxing Skirtings and Doorframes

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Carpozijr, Apr 5, 2004.

1. Carpozijr

Carpozijr New Member

Hi all, so this isn't really a carpentry question, but it IS about wood! ;)

I'm planning to wax the new internal doors in my hallway and will also be replacing the skirting and doorframes. Is it advisable (or at least feasible) to use wax on the frames and skirtings, or should something more durable be used? I.e. varnish I'm not sure how well waxed wood will sustain knocks.

Many thanks in advance,

Pamela

2. DJB

DJB New Member

HI WAX IS OK BUT YOU HAVE TO KEEP POLISHING IT.
    DOORS AND FRAMES I USE RONSEAL WATER BASE STAIN WATER IT DOWN 50/50 AND PUT IT ON WITH A SPONGE TO GET THE STRIPPED PINE COLOUR THEN A COUPLE OF COATS OF STATIN CLEAR VARNISH.
    THIS WAY ITS LOW MAINTANCE WITH WAX EFFECT.DJB

3. woodsmith

woodsmith New Member

If you want to wax the doors etc I would suggest you give it a couple of coats of Danish oil first. It helps to seal the wood and makes it a much more durable finish. Otherwise you will be forever rewaxing.

A wax finish is easily marked by water so not so good for a bathroom door, which I would give an extra coat of oil and then a very thin waxing.

I've done this myself recently and it looks great.

Hope this helps.

Keith

4. bodget&scarpers

bodget&scarpers New Member

pamela, b 4 i start can i just say that u have a lovely name,can i call u pam or honey,i wood hate 2 c wax on ur long slim fingers and manicured nails.
    but yes it can look nice,but it will take a lot of looking after 2 look its best all the time,and iv u got kids 4 get it.i am thinking of doing private tuition on this subject,and can offer u a free place on the course sbject 2 terms and condictions.

5. coggy

coggy New Member

B&S

I wandered how long it would be before your female detector alarm on your pc went off ;)

Coggy:)

6. woodsmith

woodsmith New Member

Bodget, when I wax doors I am getting something wrong as it is looking kind of "waxy", I am thinking of having private tuition, do you have any more free places. Of course this will be subject to appropriate terms and conditions. ;)

Keith

7. bodget&scarpers

bodget&scarpers New Member

sorry woodsmith, but corse is now fully booked.
    but i may take on 3 more females if they r good looking and free this sat 2 monday.

8. Carpozijr

Carpozijr New Member

bodget&scarpers :"sorry woodsmith, but corse is now fully booked. but i may take on 3 more females if they r good looking and free this sat 2 monday."

Free? Nah. Reasonable? Maybe :)

Thanks for all the replies, I'll take everyone's advice and use something other than just wax.

Pamela