Waxing Skirtings and Doorframes

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Carpozijr, Apr 5, 2004.

1. Carpozijr

Carpozijr New Member

Hi all, I'm looking for some advise with finishing internal doors...

I'm planning to wax the new internal doors in my hallway and will also be replacing the skirting and doorframes. Is it advisable (or at least feasible) to use wax on the frames and skirtings, or should something more durable be used? I.e. varnish I'm not sure how well waxed wood will sustain knocks.

Many thanks in advance,

Pamela

2. jorazz

jorazz New Member

i am a skilled polisher and in my opinion waxing is the best because it is low maintenance,varnish is fine but can chip and look unsightly after a while,if you wax,because your hallway is not likely to get wet ,ie like a bathroom, wax is ideal,simple to use and easily recoatable in months to come.

3. jimbo

jimbo Guest

Sounds interesting.. How do you go about it then?

4. jorazz

jorazz New Member

First i would stain the wood to colour required,a water based stain would be best,use a good quality wax polish 2 coats is sufficient.Apply with a rag or fine steel wool.Buff up with a brush the stain under the wax will enhance the grain and bring a depth to the finish.when it is scratched and knocked simply recoat with wax,very simple job which requires no sanding.

5. Carpozijr

Carpozijr New Member

Many thanks for your response - wax it is then!

Pamela :)

6. rolo

rolo New Member

i have used brywax on my doors and skirting boards for years. any marks or knocks i just wax again with wire wool. i find it very durable and long lasting it has stood the test of time for me e.g dogs and kids need i say more.