WC flush valve problem

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by PTFE, Jun 23, 2006.

1. PTFE

PTFE Member

I've just been to have a look at a WC problem at a friend’s house.
    It's a relatively modern close coupled with a bottom entry torbeck valve and a push button flush valve.
    She complains that the flush no longer has the 'whoosh' (her word, not mine :)) that it used to, with the result that sometimes there are solids left in the pan.

I tried the push button flush and I must admit the flush doesn't seem as powerful as it should. However, when I removed the cistern lid and operated the valve 'manually' (i.e. pressed it down with my thumb) it flushed very well.
    In both cases the cistern emptied to about 40mm off the bottom.

I tried adjusting the height of the plunger on the underside of the push button to every possible position but couldn’t get it to flush as well using the button with lid on as it did with the lid off.

I then tried it with the cistern lid back on but with the back edge (against the wall) wedged up about 10mm and flushed with the button. It flushed as well as if the lid was off.

Although I find it hard to believe it would seem that seal between the cistern lid and the cistern is so good that it's affecting the performance of the flush valve - perhaps creating a short-lived, partial vacuum?

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks
    PTFE

2. Spyder

Spyder New Member

Sounds like you've cracked it. Get some self adhesive pads from Homebase: the type you put on cupboard doors to stop them banging. Put 4 in the groove under the lid and flush away.