WC leak

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by r0land, Aug 15, 2005.

1. r0land

r0land New Member

I have a problem with a WC leaking where it connects into the soil pipe. The soil pipe protrudes from the wall by only a few inches and the WC outlet connects straight in to it. There is not much room for manoeuvre therefore, nor is there much scope for inserting a connecting piece as this will move the WC and cistern away from the wall it is mounted on. Does anyone know of any product that can be applied around such a leak without having to split the pipework. Ideally some kind of clamp or bandage device. At the moment it is patched with plumbers'mait and wrapped with Denso tape but a more aesthetically pleasing solution is required in the long term.

Thanks for any advice.
    Cheers

2. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

So the Pan spigot goes straight into the soil pipe that comes out through the wall just a few inches??

That must be quite an unusual Pan!

If this is the case then I would cut the soil pipe back even further and then use a straight Pan connector.

3. r0land

r0land New Member

Perhaps I exaggerated by saying a few inches, it may be slightly more (its not in my own house so I'm working from memory). It does seem particularly tight for space though and will be extremely awkward to cut if I need to insert any new fittings. I'm now wondering if it is leaking because it is not fully inserted into the outgoing soil pipe???
    Either way I think I will have to remove the pan and cistern and insert a straight connector as you suggest.
    Thanks for the reply.

Cheers

4. gas monkey

gas monkey Well-Known Member

hi r
    wrap the denso with 2" tape try D68316-38 duct tape white page 117 cat 38 provided the denso has stopped the leak or on page 251 item no D80757-38 theres insulating tape its only 19mm wide you can get 2" if you want an easy cost answer

5. Shake

Shake New Member

It must be assumed that it was not always leaking from first installation therefore the basic setup must be capable of being leak free without the need for connecting pipes.

What has changed? Possibly only 3 things. 1. The pan has moved. 2 The seals have perished. 3 The soil pipe has moved (unlikely?).

Would it not be best then to split the pan from the soil pipe renew the seal and refit the pan.

6. Shake

Shake New Member

PS I suppose it is possible for the soil pipe or the pan spigot to have cracked. Look for this if you decide to refit the pan.

7. Stench

Stench Member

There are dozens of products available to connect pan to soil pipe in all sorts of different configurations to suit virtually any situation.
    Pushing a pan spigot straight into a soilpipe is a bodge and the risk of a leak is unavoidable-search for similar threads on this forum.

8. r0land

r0land New Member

Thanks for all the replies, I am resigned to the fact that I will have to remove the WC / cistern and find some suitable connector.

Cheers