Weak floor screed around a pool

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Christopher Macey, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Christopher Macey

Christopher Macey New Member

Hi Folks

Just tried to prepare a floor around a swimming pool and its gone wrong.

The floor was originally level screeded with a weak cement mix, its soft and a little powdery but is quite stable, I originally tried to stabilize the floor with a well diluted pva and then applied an adhesive and deitra tile mat.

Unfortunately its all coming off with the pva failing to adhere to the cement floor.

The cement floor wont easily lift even with a bolster chisel and big hammer so it seems strong enough' it does seem to be an adhesion issue.

I've been advised to get the pva off and re prime with an acrylic, I've also been advised just to use a cement based adhesive straight onto the floor but dont know what is the best advice.

Thoughts welcome.

Chris

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Only diy me but......

Yep, PVA is the wrong product to use as uv found out

The adhesive will cause the PVA to ‘liven’ up again and turn sticky - not what you want when prepping for tiles - even less so in a wet area

Acrylic SBR is what you want, looks like PVA, thick white gloopy mix but chemically its very differant. Follow mix guidelines on container

Try removing the PVA with several changes of hot sugar soap solution, until the screed looses the sticky feeling. But as you’ve gone over with tile adhesive, not sure how possible this will now be :confused:

3. Christopher Macey

Christopher Macey New Member

Hi Dave

Many thanks but.......

The PVA was a waterproof form and well set, in areas where I haven't fitted the mat then the PVA is peel-able from the surface of the floor.

Its clearly a PVA to floor adhesion matter.

Do you know if there are any solvent based primers as I think that if the surface is more penetrated the issue will be fixed.

C