weathershield

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by makuser, Oct 24, 2005.

1. makuser

makuser New Member

Hi,
    Bit of a daft question maybe but here goes. I have followed the advice on here and gone for Dulux Weathershield Gloss for my exterior woodwork.The drying time given is 16 hrs and my query is when i paint the front door, how long approx would i have to wait before I could shut the door? I may be in for a long day if its the full 16 hrs!!
    Thanks in advance.
    Mak

2. paintycait

paintycait New Member

Well, 16 hours would obviously be best, however it should be touch dry in a few hours, it all depends how tight the door fits the opening. If you have draught exclusion brushes or similar that mean the door fits really tight to the frame then I'd leave it open as long as possible as pressure on the new paint will just lift the paint off when you re-open the door.
    Cait

3. makuser

makuser New Member

Thanks Cait,
    As i suspected but wondered if there were any tricks the pro's used.As you know the weather in Tayside is unreliable to say the least but thanks for the info, just have to hope for a dry day!!
    Makuser

4. griffsters

griffsters New Member

hi mate leave it a good 8 hrs before ya shut it and never ever use flipping paint driers otherwise forget using the weather shield man they should ban that stuff.close it gently and remove rubber seal from the frame for at least 4 days as gloss need 2 weeks believe it or not to fully cure

5. paintycait

paintycait New Member

Makuser, where are you in Tayside? I'm from the Brechin/Montrose area originally. Dry day????? huh!!! not going to happen till the weekend according to the local forecast.

I know Slap says 8 hours but if there is a lot of humidity...which there will be over the next wee while... be cautious. Moisture in the atmosphere inhibits the release of the solvent which is what makes alkyd products dry.

Slap, driers are great if they are used correctly, just like conditioners and extenders. I use all of them on a regular basis, but use them wrong and you have a disaster on your hands. All alkyd paints have a certain level of hydrocarbons and driers in them but manufacturers are restricted as to how much they can add to products. Water based products have a certain amount of things like propolene glycol added and the same applies. As an end user you can add or subtract (if you know how) to your heart's content, as long as you know what you are doing and there are situations that demand the use of these products. Having said all that, with Weathershield I hardly think driers are required, but the fact that it is fast drying means it is slow curing...no such thing as a free lunch.

Cait

6. paintycait

paintycait New Member

I apologise...not Slapiton..but Griffster...got the names wrong. Wish this board would let you see the whole thread when replying...I'm a plank.
    Cait

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

You mean 'planke'.

Could you explain this further :

" the fact that it is fast drying means it is slow curing..." ?

Mr. Handyandy - really

8. paintycait

paintycait New Member

Weathershield is formulated to skin over very quickly to the benefit of decorators coping with the changeable British climate. Alkyd paint dries by the release of solvents, once all the solvents have been released the paint is fully cured. The fact that Weathershield skins over very quickly means that the remaining solvents are slower released lengthening curing time.
    Cait