Weatherstruck/ weather struck pointing with lime mortar

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Rob Denness, May 22, 2020.

1. stuart44

stuart44 Screwfix Select

For that wall I wouldn't use the churn brush. What I normally do for a lime job, is first thing get a 3/1 mix in dry for 5 minutes, then add some water and let it mix for about 15 mins. While it's mixing make sure all the joints are properly raked out. Then let it fatten up for about 15-20. If it's a hot day jet out the joints and then put it on mist and soak the wall. Let the surface dry and mix up for another 5 mins and you are good to go.

2. Rob Denness

Rob Denness New Member

Thanks for the advice stuart. I think I was reading some of your posts on another site- noticed your replies were very concise, so thanks for that.

With regards to sand, what would you use? I have read that some people use a mix of plastering sand, but I'm guessing I wouldn't need any sharp?

3. stuart44

stuart44 Screwfix Select

Depends what people call sharp sand. Our local merch calls concreting sand sharp sand. Really, sharp sand refers to the shape of the particles. Sharp sand has angular shaped grains, whereas soft building sand has rounded grains. Coarse sand has larger grains, fine smaller. Well graded has a mixture of different sizes.
    Building sand is easier to work with, so is more popular for pointing.
    When I point stonework with larger joints I would more use a mix of coarse sharp and building sand. When doing brickwork more often building sand.
    If pointing brickwork with really tight joint a really fine sand is needed. If joints are only 2-3 mm, a sand that's been through a 5mm sieve isn't going to work.
    You will find with lime that a sharp sand can still be workable as long as it gets a long mix to get plenty of air into the mix. Don't put too much water in to begin with, as after about 10 mins in the mix it starts to become more workable.

4. Rob Denness

Rob Denness New Member

Oh ok. So maybe 2 building, 1 sharp? From my experience with pointing about a 10mm joint the sharp sand in a mix always leaves a fragile crumbly edge?

5. stuart44

stuart44 Screwfix Select

Usually best to test out a few mixes before you start. You want one that will be easy to work with, especially with those kind of joints.

6. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Another problem with finding the right sand, especially with some of the larger merchant and DIY chains, is that their small bagged products (20kg ish) may not be local to where you're working so might not match the existing (which almost definitely would have been). Sharp, coarse, concreting and plastering sand might all mean the same thing (or not) to different merchants as well - Grr....

stuart44 likes this.
  7. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

Tbh I’m having trouble seeing you get the sharp neat cut with sharp sand in the mix

8. Rob Denness

Rob Denness New Member

Yes, from my experience you only need one grain bigger that say a couple of mm on the cut edge for it the look rough.
    Matching the colour will be a bit of a minefield wherever I get the sand from Imho. Like Stuart44 said: I could probably only experiment with a few trial mixes, but then I suppose any new lime mortar will be fairly 'light' in colour for the first few years? So far the only thing I know for certain is that NHL 3.5 will be a good all round bindero_O

9. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

If you’re repointing the whole of the wall on the customers property what are you planning on colour matching to ?

10. Rob Denness

Rob Denness New Member

In all honesty I don't think it will matter too much. You can see in the photo that most of the joints are knackered and have eroded away a long time ago. As for the customer's property - that's rendered. So really just want something that's not too stark I suppose.
    The customer just wants the wall to look a bit more of a feature by tidying up with the repoint. I'm a believer in function & form

11. stuart44

stuart44 Screwfix Select

That's the problem. Go into Bradfords and ask for sharp sand and you get a bag of coarse sand. Go into Limebase and there are loads of different sands graded by their particle size and colour. They all feel sharp, as angular grained sand should really be used with lime to compensate for the higher shrinkage of lime.
    In the old days sand was supposed to be clean with angular particles, but when OPC started to get used for mortar soft building sand was needed to make it more workable.

David Hatim and WillyEckerslike like this.
  12. Rob Denness

Rob Denness New Member

Surely plastering sand would be a good happy medium?

13. David Hatim

David Hatim Active Member

Are you in Somerset? Or is there a Limebase somewhere else?

14. Rob Denness

Rob Denness New Member

I'm in Brighton. I've just rung Conserv and they do a premix mortar, but can't give any advice on weatherstruck

15. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

16. Rob Denness

Rob Denness New Member

17. stuart44

stuart44 Screwfix Select

Somerset