website problems

Discussion in 'Screwfix' started by andyz, Nov 1, 2022.

1. andyz

andyz New Member

Hi
    Is anyone having trouble logging onto the Screwfix site on their Chromebook?
    I've tried rebooting and also deleting all the browsing data, cookies, e.t.c to no avail.
    Can anyone help?
    Thank you

2. andyz

andyz New Member

Sorted, It was a problem with the dns.

3. LarryH

LarryH New Member

What did you do ? I suspect I have the same problem with DNS. I'm using 8.8.8.8 , but have tried a few others.
    Now using Toolstation and Amazon because Screwfix.com will not open. (It did a month or so ago).

4. andyz

andyz New Member

Changed my dns to 'google (public dns)',
    ( I run a chromebook). Go to the 'security and privacy ' tab in 'settings'

5. LarryH

LarryH New Member

Thanks , I have tried google dns. That's 8,8,8,8 and 8,8,4,4.
    It would be nice to know what Screwfix have done to their site in the last month.
    I am running a very old system, but Screwfix have defintely changed something.
    I can access the European Screwfix and the Irish Screwfix, but unfortunately I can't make the home store in the UK.
    My mobile works when accessing the internet through the same router, so it's probably my steam driven PC that's the problem.

6. andyz

andyz New Member

I had it going on for about 2 months, very frustrating because screwfix is my go to but its
    was their loss because toolstation got my custom.

7. andyz

andyz New Member

And if you do a google search there seems to
    be no 1 answer that works for all

8. LarryH

LarryH New Member

It baffles me why new software is not tested before it's issued. I wonder how many customers Screwfix has lost.
    It seems to me they need to loose a few from their IT department.

9. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

You can only test for a certain combination of setups and IT departments tend to test on the most popular or recent one. With the internet, you not only have the operating system (plus version dependent to how updated it is) but also a choice of browser and again the version. This unfortunately is an issue with open or semi open systems.

this is one of the reasons why many critical systems run on proprietary system such as that provided by IBM where everything can be tightly controlled. Even here, the web based interface can be tricky.