Website

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by markysparky, May 19, 2005.

1. markysparky

markysparky New Member

I'm thinking of setting up an info website for my business and was just wondering! Has anybody already got one and if so how do you go about it and how much does it cost roughly to set up and maintain??

Nothing fancy, just a straight forward information page with a few urls and thats all.

Any info will be greatly recieved!

2. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Get yourself a copy of Frontpage 2005 or what ever it is these days and talk to your service provider to get a bit of web space (5MB should be plenty) and register your URL. Its easy peasy. The only bummer is Frontpage will cost you about £200 I think. Maybe try eBay? Others may recommend something a bit cheaper = harder to use.

URL registration cost about £50-100 for a .com and about £25-50 for .co.uk PA. Try www.netnames.com if your service provider can't help. Try it anyway in case the URL you had in mind has already gone. Then tell me I'm right out on my prices because I'm too lazy to look them up myself.

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Your isp would normally give you free webspace, yes.

I made a page up just for fun(I guess it's still there)

co.uk name from 1&1 £2.49 per YEAR. Very basic(haven't been bothered to do much with it)

http://www.andyfilefind.co.uk

Mr. Handyandy - really

4. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

See why its so cheap for HA? All that "advertising" will turn your punters right off. Avoid at all costs.

5. dingbat

dingbat New Member

Don't use FrontPage. Seriously, don't use it. It's utter garbage. If you really want to design a page then Dreamweaver is a far, far... far better program to use.

If you can get free webspace from your Internet service provider then all well and good, but it will very likely carry unwanted advertising banners, etc.

Far better (and really not very expensive) is to buy your own domain name - 'markysparky.co.uk' for instance, then buy some webspace to host your site. I get mine from http://www.123-reg.co.uk/ but there are many others. Try an onlne search.

A good idea is to spend some time researching what's available and what's involved and, to that end, try searching usng the word 'tutorial'. E.g.:
    HTML tutorial
    Website Tutorial
    Hosting tutorial
    Etc...

Good luck.

6. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Obviously I have been blind to the truth regarding superior web creating software - just make sure what ever you use works for you.

7. dingbat

dingbat New Member

The trouble with FrontPage, coulomb, is that it produces really poor html code, that is handled differently by some browsers. As a piece of software it's a lash-up! :)

8. Cronos

Cronos New Member

Isn't frontpage bashing a bit out of date? it was very true of early versions I know.

9. state-it

state-it New Member

I worked commercially producing multimedia and programming websites for 6 years before staring at a screen for 8 hours + a day did my noodle in and I escaped to a 'hands-on' job that I enjoy.

Frontpage does produce overly verbose code - but the tool one uses does not matter that much really.

The skills needed in producing a website are good visual design linked with user friendliness and usability - plus good coding of course ;)

10. markysparky

markysparky New Member

Well thanks guys, some useful info there, I'll decide wether to do it myself or get a pro to do it for me!

ONE LAST QUESTION:
    Anybody that has a website, has it helped your business in any way or not??

11. dingbat

dingbat New Member

"Anybody that has a website, has it helped your business in any way or not??"

Not yet. ;)

12. markysparky

markysparky New Member

How long have you had yours going for Dingbat??

13. dingbat

dingbat New Member

Oh, there's been a holding page up there for about six months, but I only recently got round to hosting it properly. I have yet to sort out the meta-data or worry about search engines. It's really there mainly so that I can make use of what I thought was a very succinct domain name before anybody else bought it! :)

The address appears on my new van and my new business cards, so some customers may pass this on in the future. Also I now have a number of clients who have mentioned that their employers have intranets on which the details of trusted tradesmen can be posted. I figure that, if my name crops up in such a way it would be handy to be able to link to my site. Early days, yet...

14. markysparky

markysparky New Member

I've noticed that a lot of firms have website links from higlighted ads on Yell.com and Thomson Local.com. why don't you try there? you should get some response surely!

15. dingbat

dingbat New Member

Well, I'm pretty busy as it is. The last thing I need is a deluge of emails to sort out every night!

16. markysparky

markysparky New Member

Fair enough! ;)

17. bighairybloke

bighairybloke New Member

See why its so cheap for HA? All that "advertising"
    will turn your punters right off. Avoid at all costs.

The ads are because it's hosted on free AOL webspace. 1&1 are now doing .uk domain registrations for £1.99 They do hosting packages too, but i can't remember how much they are. If you pay for hosting, you get no ads.

As for software, I use macromedia dreamweaver. Much nicer than frontpage when you get into it.

18. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Just to clear up acouple of points on my particular site, and the ads.

The only ads put there by aol are the ones above the title.
    The others were put there by me, by choice.

When I first made the page(and being naive) I thought it was a good idea to join one of those click through schemes, where anyone who clicks the ads and goes on to buy something from that site, is supposed to earn comission. Ha, joke. Been there two years, ain't seen nothin' yet. I only put ads on that I have dealt with and would recommend the sites.

Also, it still looks like (as it was in the beginning) the free web space that aol allows.
    This is because when I got my domain name registered, with 1&1, I was lazy, and instead of recreating the site,
    I just linked to it.
    It was, after all, not all that important.

Just in case you were wondering.

Mr. Handyandy - really

19. Cronos

Cronos New Member

Well, I'm pretty busy as it is. The last thing I need
    is a deluge of mails to sort out every night!

I can agree with that just having to converse with one customer for specific reasons over e-mail is a pain. To make matters worse I have to use yahoo webmail as his AOL rejects my own ISP's mail.

20. 01792

01792 New Member

It does work, but you have to put constant effort into it. Don't think you knock up any old tat, and wait for the phone to ring. Get a job done right, get some professionals involved, ones with a portfolio where all the designs are different, and not hocked off the same template, onesthat are local.

I can spend upto 5 hours a week updating and keeping my business site fresh, and generating ways to get traffic coming back. Works for me, I pick off the nice jobs and subcontract the rest.