Wedgie.

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Fada Mach, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Fada Mach

Fada Mach New Member

Cycling home this morning I came across a couple of p&ds setting up an extension ladder against a house wall. The road was slightly uneven so they'd placed a wooden wedge under one leg.

Here's t'thing - the wedge was fitted with the blunt end towards the house and t'sharp end facing into the road. This looked weird - the leg was already at an angle as the ladder was leaning against t'wall, but having the wedge this way made the leg's contact angle with the slope even more severe than if it were contacting the road itself. Chust didn't look right. Surely having t'wedge t'other way would have the ladder leg sitting 'square' on the wedge's slope?

I approached the two guys and said "Tell me to mind my own business, but shouldn't that wedge be t'other way around?

2. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Beware putting ANYTHING under the foot of a ladder, except the GROUND.

Trust me.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

3. Fada Mach

Fada Mach New Member

Oops, didn't mean to bring back bad memories. :(

T'other thing was that the 2nd fellow - who was holding the ladder for the climber - did so from 'under' the ladder. He stood there holding it with both hands, but pulling it towards him and the house. This also looked weird 'cos I'd have thought that a more successful way to do this would have been to push it from t'front - with at least one foot pressed against ladder foot.

Anyways...

4. painterbird

painterbird New Member

OMG!!!..polish way maybe!

5. Fada Mach

Fada Mach New Member

Not with that Devon accent...

Anyways, were they nuts?

6. StinkNugget

StinkNugget Member

lol. I have a ladder stabiliser, they flog one like mine on Screwfix for 70 notes. Costs slightly more than a door wedge but it's a great tool :)