Week in hand

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by spen123, Jul 14, 2018.

1. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

Afternoon all
    I'm currently subcontracting to a firm but due to current circumstances it's not a good job for atm. I have however been offered a job for a start on Monday but this is where my issues start. I worked a week in hand but due to being such short notice I'm worried he would get funny and refuse to pay the week in hand.
    I don't have any written contract with him so nothing was ever mentioned about what notice was required when leaving.
    It seems a very tin pot company as NO one has any sort of contract. But from what his other subcontractors have said he has refused to pay in the past when someone has left at short notice

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

A stupid question, but I take it you have proof that you've worked for him, paper trail of invoices, mobile phone calls etc? If he doesn't pay you then it's small claims court time, or beat him to death with his own arms. Unfortunately your choice is stay or go, if the better work option is to go then prepare yourself for an argument.

3. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

He wont pay. But then he never will whatever the circumstances. I would just take the new job and instead annoy him until he pays up.

btiw2 likes this.
  4. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

I’m sure if he refuses to pay you, HMRC would be interested in investigating his financial affairs. ;);)

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

He should know what's happened by now.