weekend wrk,

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by jj-jamie, Jan 11, 2007.

1. jj-jamie

jj-jamie New Member

hi all

i work for joinery/building firm on the books,

i have been doin some spare time/ weekend work for members of my family but now there friends want some doing, with me not being self employed etc where would i stand with reciving monies , i dont want to get done for tax invading etc

many thanks

2. makita49

makita49 New Member

Just do it for cash and you should be fine,depends whether there want invoice,receipt e.t.c as long as you arenot doing it every time you should be fine.

3. gardm1nt

gardm1nt New Member

I guess you need to contact the tax people and find out. If you dont go via the corect chanels your paye could be messed up

4. gardm1nt

gardm1nt New Member

Makita, I think the guy wants to do things corectly. If not he wouldnt be asking the question.

5. makita49

makita49 New Member

I dont see how a few extra jobs for cash would hurt anything,good to see you got your head screwed on though kinda makes me look daft now :)

6. makita49

makita49 New Member

I never said he didnt did i,as i said in previous post its good to see he got his head screwed on but evryone has done it some time.

7. gardm1nt

gardm1nt New Member

I might have done a few in the past true. The thing is if your self employed its dificult for them to prove anything were as if your employed and someone grases you it would be easy for them to trace.

8. makita49

makita49 New Member

I understand that and im sure there are people out there who look for people all the time just to shop them,so im sure jj will do the right thing give the tax office a ring and ask the question but i suppose once you have rung dont go do the opposite best of luck for future.

9. joesoap

joesoap New Member

Hi Jameie
    There's something to be said for keeping it legit in that it gives you some backup should you come up against a non payer or being shortchanged. In time too it will show who your friends really are and who are just using you. Experience will learn you when and when not to accept and or declare all. Over fifty years at the game and I have just backed a loser for the first time , still hopeful though but just. Don't be put off and go on to enjoy the trade and good luck to you. Cheers !

10. jj-jamie

jj-jamie New Member

thanks for the replies

its not a lot of work a few doors or laminate floor every few months,but the word is spreading and im getting asked more.
    hopefully soon i will get enough work to go on my own but its this bridging gap.

i could offer a fit now pay when self employed haha

11. makita49

makita49 New Member

Give some people an inch and they will take a mile but looking towards the future is always good

12. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

jj, never, never delay sending invoices

13. !!

!! Active Member

as long as your paying tax during the week I think you will be fine. I know second income tax is a killer.

If your doing it with a aim to become self employed get some cards made up and leave them behind

The one thing you do need is insurance, it isn't as expensive as you think, £142 with £2500 cover for tools, which all tradespeople should have as they aren't covered under household insurance

14. starlight tiles

starlight tiles New Member

start cooking on gas son.weekend work/foreigners as their known are always cash.never known anyone in 20years to ask should they pay tax on it.you get out of life what you put in.

15. hi all

i work for joinery/building firm on the books,

i have been doin some spare time/ weekend work for
    members of my family but now there friends want some
    doing, with me not being self employed etc where
    would i stand with reciving monies , i dont want to
    get done for tax invading etc

many thanks

jj-jamie is that a stutter ? lot of people stutter when they meet me.

16. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I dont work for cash and never have done. people whose attitude is well it never hurt anyone dont understand the nature of business. what it is in essence is undercutting other people who are paying their tax and pli and everything. i get around 60-70 percent of work i quote for but i do hear " well theres this guy down the road who will do it for half what you are charging". thats one of you weekend warriors nicking all the materials out of your work etc. if you want to be in the game get into it dont undercut proper businesses by playing around.

17. starlight tiles

starlight tiles New Member

goldenboy or jobsworth is it.what planet you on goody two shoes.bet your in a right set routine son.do you curtain twitch as well.

18. ivor bigun

ivor bigun New Member

He's not called goldenboy for nothin

19. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I am no jobsworth. all i am saying is I do proper tax paid work all the time. what is wrong with that. I have a full order book stretching way into the future so why would i waste my time messing about with stupid little jobs. I run my business in a proper manner. all you wannabe weekend warriors out to try running a proper business instead of messing about with putting shelves up.

20. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

Goldenboy is right
    all you weekend workers are f-ing stealing work off us reg businesses who pay our way.
    You want the security of working for a firm but want extra money, tax free and don't care that it undermines self employed people, talk about cake and eat it!!!
    How would you like it if your boss said "sorry son i've got someone on the fiddle to do your job for half the price, you're fired"
    Or the firm you work for has to make you redundant because the loose to much work to people doing weekend work.
    Look at the big picture if you are taking work out of the trade by fiddling you are biting the hand that feeds you.