Weeping pipe elbow

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Garak112, Oct 24, 2021.

1. Garak112

Garak112 Member

About 3 months ago I fitted my upstairs bathroom, this involved connecting up to pipes that my builder had left in the walls/floor.

Before covering everything up I had the water on for a few hours and checked for leaks, nothing obvious.

Today in the downstairs bathroom I got hit on the head by some dripping water coming from around the extractor fan.

Having looked under the upstairs bath (bone dry) I pulled the fan out and it looks like a copper elbow supplying the bath is weeping very slowly. I used solder ring fittings and mustn't have got that one quite right.

I've got some access through the fan hole but I don't think I'd be able to cut the pipe back and then solder on a new bit through that fan hole (plus I'd struggle not to set everything on fire).

Before I pull the bath out and cut the floor can anyone think of another way to fix this?

2. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Could you cut the leaking fitting out and replace it with a push fit through the current fan opening.

Garak112 likes this.
  3. Garak112

Garak112 Member

I could cut the fitting out but not sure there will be enough slack in the pipe to pull them in to the push fitting if that makes sense?

4. Could you drain the water, wipe a bit of flux around the fitting and try resoldering, add a bit of solder when the original solder melts? Sometimes works, but not guaranteed. Not sure if u have room to do it?
    Personally not a fan of solder ring fittings, much prefer end feed and adding the solder myself, and if I ever do use solder ring I always add a dab of solder anyway.

Garak112 and John the plumber31 like this.
  5. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

I would cut an access panel in the ceiling to do it, cut enough out to do the job. Either fit an opening access hatch back in it's place or batten and mount the plasterboard back then skim/fill over.

Garak112 likes this.
  6. Sounds like this could be the only option if there isn’t enough room through the fan opening

Garak112 likes this.
  7. Garak112

Garak112 Member

I don't think I'll have enough room - the pipe is only just below the floor. Nightmare. I like the solder rings because they are usually pretty foolproof for a novice. I did buy a job lot from Amazon (flow flex) that seemed to have less solder in than the ones I got from screwfix and there were a few that I didn't use because of that.

With this elbow I had an issue with water in the pipe. I'd drained it but it's at the low point of the upstairs and I kept getting small drops rolling towards it. There's a silver ring around the end so I thought I'd cracked it but probably a small pinhole from steam escaping somewhere.

The bathroom ceiling is textured so no chance of matching that up if I cut a bit out.

I think I'm going to try a speedfit elbow on it and cross my fingers. If it doesn't work I may be able to thread some speedfit pipe from above and redo it all from that joint. I don't want to cut the floor because of how close the hole would need to be to the bath feet.

Deleted member 246321 likes this.
  8. JOMEL

JOMEL Screwfix Select

Hi.
    I go with PPP some
    I did serve my time as a plumber.
    Lots of times using those Yorkshire Solder fittings.
    I was always told in a firm manner by my "BOSS " plumber who I would
    not dare call him Les.
    Always Mr Poole
    Clean the outside edge of the fitting BOY
    I want to see the solder form a nice ring
    So a good clean there will be a good start.
    Needs drained of course,

Enjoy
    Johnny M

9. Garak112

Garak112 Member

Managed to get this fixed yesterday.

I was able to move the insulation out of the way and get my solder pad behind the fitting. Cleaned everything up, ran some flux round the outside of the joint and tried to resolder. Unfortunately I wasn't able to fix it that way, I struggled to get the pipe hot enough with the angle of the torch as I couldn't get it far enough in to the fan hole to heat it effectively.

In the end I cut the pipes and threaded some speedfit pipe through from under the bath and redid in speedfit.

Not ideal but at least I know that if the o-rings ever fail it will leak onto my head and I'll find out pretty quick!

Deleted member 246321 likes this.