Weird Hard Build up on Window Frame

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Gareth Bennett-Ryan, Jul 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Gareth Bennett-Ryan

Gareth Bennett-Ryan New Member

Hi,

Anyone got any idea what this is in the attached image?

It's on quite a few of the windows in my house on the inside. It's at the bottom of the frame where two of the plastic parts meet.

It's hard, a bit like limescale, but it's brown. I know this image has a stain where it has leaked but I've never found any water or anything on the window sills and we have been here 3 years.

It's not causing a problem but it looks nasty and i'm just curious what it is and why its happening if anyone knows?

Cheers!

Attached Files:

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I get this on a couple of my windows and yes, it is limescale basically

Small amount of water is getting into frame past rubber seals and/or condensation builds up inside frame and finds a way out, via the glazing beads

Spray of limescale remover, Cillit Bang Bathroom works for me and a nylon kitchen scourer, wont damage the upvc
    Any stubborn bits or crud stuck along the line where bead meets frame, may need to use a scraper as well to encourage removal but leave the spray for 5-10 mins to soften the build up and take care not to scratch the frames

A regular spray and clean afterwards will keep all nice and tidy

Could investigate where water is coming in from but with my windows, all seals are intact, company that fitted them no longer in business (surprise, surprise eh :() so I just clean as above every now and again

If it was the glass unit itself you would know as it would be misted inside at the least, possibly with water collecting in the base of it

3. Gareth Bennett-Ryan

Gareth Bennett-Ryan New Member

Ah right ok, thanks for replying. I'm glad it's something simple.

I live in the North West and we get a lot of rain so it makes sense.

I'll get scrubbing!