Wet Celotex

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Joel Drury, Feb 11, 2024.

1. Joel Drury

Joel Drury Member

Hi. Someone has thrown out a load of celotex after their house was flooded. They say I can have it if I want it. If I dry it out could this be reused?

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Breeding ground for bacteria with the contamination it has been exposed to....your doing them a favour taking it away.

Joel Drury and WillyEckerslike like this.
  3. RegB

RegB Active Member

"Reused for what?" might have some bearing on the answer.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  4. Joel Drury

Joel Drury Member

A little garage gym conversion

5. Mark DM

Mark DM Screwfix Select

Think it would be ok provided you clean it and allow it to dry. It shouldn't have drawn up much moisture . I have often had new from the BM complete with green edges and wet surfaces.... at the usual top dollar prices

Joel Drury likes this.
  6. Alan22

Alan22 Screwfix Select

If you cut the edges and it's dry inside should be ok, peel back the foil and check that too, you would need a lot of it to make it worthwhile.

adgjl and Joel Drury like this.
  7. Joel Drury

Joel Drury Member

Thanks for the heads up
    this is good news. Thanks. I’ve also had sound insulation arrive (rockwool) completely drenched. Obviously this is a much different material though. Good to know that I might be able to reuse the celotex and save some money.

8. Joel Drury

Joel Drury Member

Hahaha :D

9. adgjl

adgjl Screwfix Select

There is a difference though. Rockwool arriving wet on the back of a delivery truck should be soaked with rainwater. Cellotex that has been flood damaged may well be contaminated with raw sewage for all you know.

Would I want it, certainly not. For my own house, certainly not.

If I had to get it picked up following flood damage, I would almost certainly have to pay for it to be removed.

If I could find someone gullible enough to take it away for free . . .

Astramax likes this.
  10. RegB

RegB Active Member

Can't see a problem. It's foil faced both sides, and you can look at the stuff and see what it's like, after all.

Joel Drury and stevie22 like this.
  11. Alan22

Alan22 Screwfix Select

It is murder to get rid of, some local councils take if cut up and bagged and some won't touch it.

Joel Drury likes this.
  12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Exactly my concerns in post #2 :eek:

13. Joel Drury

Joel Drury Member

Fair point. Thanks. I think il steer clear then.

14. billysloke

billysloke Active Member

Were they not insured? I would have assumed removal and disposal would be covered under any claim. Perhaps they are hoping to be quids in on the payout?

15. Joel Drury

Joel Drury Member

Hi. I think they are insured. I just passed and saw it out in the garden is all. Decided against it in the end.