wet retaining wall-can I paint it?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by 40w bulb, Sep 17, 2008.

1. 40w bulb

40w bulb New Member

Hi there painters!
    My bedrooms in the basement and faces a brick wall that retains the garden. I want to paint it a light colour. Problem is that is wall is almost always damp. Decorating store guy suggested painting it with an oil based masonry paint, but is he correct? Should this wall be painted with something that will allow the wall to breathe and sweat? What do you suggest?

2. hoss

hoss New Member

If the wall is always damp from the soil behind it then i wouldn't recommend painting it with anything as it will always get damp stains and probably peel.
    Your best solution would be to batten the wall and dry line it so you have a small cavity between the wall and plaster bored, then you can paint it with what ever you want.

3. Burlington Bertie

Burlington Bertie New Member

I believe Zinsser do a product for exactly this type of application. Check out the products on their website. Personally. I'd do what Hoss suggested

4. ponty01.

ponty01. New Member

40W I get the impression the wall you refer too is an external wall in the garden which you can see from the window. I also think you may want a light colour to act as a reflector to brighten your basement.

If I am correct don't follow Hoss' advice as you cannot use plasterboard outside !! If its an internal wall his solution will be ok.

IWS: Information With a Smile :)

5. hoss

hoss New Member

I dont know many people who have a bedroom outside <u>STUPID</u>?

6. Burlington Bertie

Hang on, Hoss. Reading the original post again, I think IWS is correct - 40 watt bulb is talking about the garden wall not the interior wall. Why he did't just say garden wall and not mention the bedroom is beyond me - the bedroom bit is just a red herring

7. ponty01.

ponty01. New Member

Thank you Bertie. Retaining wall is what leads me to believe we are talking about an exterior wall in this case.

8. ponty01.

ponty01. New Member

I dont know many people who have a bedroom outside
    STUPID

Thousands of them do: Campers (those in tents), the poor homeless. IWS: Here to educate ;)

9. Burlington Bertie

Getting back to the original enquiry, what you need to do is seal the wall with a waterproofer, then 2 coats of normal masonry paint, but don't expect it to least forever, it may need redoing in a couple or 3 years. Forget about letting the bricks 'breathe', they will do this from the other side anyway

10. hoss

hoss New Member

If in this case iws you are correct and its the external wall being questioned then i apologies for my comment. But in my defense, after reading most of your previous posts on this forum its hard not to just assume you are on the wind up.
    40 watt bulb, if you want the correct advice you need to confirm if its an exterior wall that wants painting, or its your interior bedroom wall thats retaining the garden behind it ( which would cause the damp )that needs painting.

11. ponty01.

ponty01. New Member

You just need to read what is in front of you rather than jumping to your own, possibly inaccurate and misleading, conclusions.

12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Totally agree 100% with hoss.

13. ponty01.

ponty01. New Member

Of course you do, we wouldn't expect anything less from you ;)

14. Burlington Bertie

40 Watt has'nt come back. Maybe he's decided to move house instead :^O

15. ponty01.

ponty01. New Member

May be he has seen some of the antagonistic postings that Just Come To **** has made in the last week or so and thought what a waste of space this forum has become.

16. jcts

jcts Active Member

if the forum has become a waste of space why do you still post on here. it can't be to give advice because you have no knowledge of the trade. what about your postings? also, for someone you don't like you seem to be posting an awful lot about me. you even post about me in other topics where we have had no conflicting words in, such as this one. i suppose it's all you can do as you know FA about decorating

17. ponty01.

ponty01. New Member

lols

EVERYBODY knows something about decorating.

18. jcts

jcts Active Member

you didn't answer my questions

19. ponty01.

ponty01. New Member

Did some prat say something?

20. jcts

jcts Active Member

oh yes, very good