Wet sanding paint

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by RolandK, Jun 12, 2018.

1. RolandK

RolandK Member

In an effort to keep down the dust I thought I'd wet sand the existing painted woodwork with 240 grit wet and dry. Is this ok? I've tried a bit of a door so far and it works fine but the surface seems almost too smooth. Will this affect the adhesion of the new paint. Going to use a water based eggshell
    Cheers

2. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

Can't see why it would, as long as it's clean and dry would, be ok.;)

3. RolandK

RolandK Member

Thanks once again Astramax.

4. Astramax

Use a synthetic bristle brush and/or a Hamilton Perfection 4" Felt roller.

KIAB likes this.
  5. RolandK

RolandK Member

I've got some Woosters FTP Chinex brushes I was planning to use as I get on well with them and they're a breeze to clean. For the flat areas a roller sounds good so I'll get some of the Hamiltons in.
    I take they are far superior to the foam? I don't mind paying out for the good stuff as it saves time and gets a better result.
    Johnstone Aqua for the paint? I want something with minimum sheen as I like the matt look on woodwork.
    Cheers

6. Astramax

I never use foam rollers with waterbased paints, only felt, laid off with a decent brush of course.

7. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Hamilton Perfection 4" Felt roller, superb roller, excellent finish on woodwork with water based paint, did some flush doors with Johnstone aqua satin,really finish good, I didn't need to lay off with a brush.

8. Wayners

Wayners Active Member

Yes. Need the surface really clean to allow paint to stick so wash well and wipe over with damp microfibre cloth when your done sanding

9. Astramax

Wayners, have you got shares in Microfibre Inc?

10. RolandK

RolandK Member

Thanks all for the info. I'll make sure the surfaces are good and clean before painting. I too am a big fan of the microfiber cloth!! Buy loads of them for car valeting mainly but now seem to use them for most cleaning jobs. So I'm set up there