What a plonker!

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Cornish Crofter, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Cornish Crofter

Cornish Crofter Active Member

...or, make sure you remove the key from the side of the window before you fit the frame!

I've had one of those days I'm afraid.

Just after breaking down at the tip, when getting rid of some refuse, and finding all the electric windows in the 4x4 had packed up, I decide that I need to achieve something positive today.

So, I fitted the new UPVC window in the new domestic façade I've built on the front of my property.

I adjusted it out, levelled it up etc then applied a fine spray of water in the gap, then the foam.

I then let the foam go off, rechecked the levels etc, all was fine. I was then standing back admiring my handiwork when I saw the letters K E and Y in that order, with an arrow pointing to the edge of the frame on the RHS.

I phoned the window company and the boss just laughed. As it's a window and the handles they have in only have one key type, replacing it is fortunately easy. When he picked himself up from the floor he invited me into pick up a replacement on Monday.

2. Welshmally

Welshmally New Member

Would you like to borrow my SDS to get it out? LOL LOL :)

3. Cornish Crofter

No thanks

In case I couldn't get the key for any reason, I've schemed a way to get it out.

As the window is fitted onto bear block work, I could use a hacksaw blade to cut off the screw head then flip the key out.

I would poke through about 2 inches of foam but I can redo this.

4. mayrichie

mayrichie New Member

Hey ive just set up a networking site for tradesmen www.tradesbook.co.uk

Its where all the trades meet

also.... search jobs and post in our classified section

its all free!

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I would have thought that the key might only be 'taped' on.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

6. Cornish Crofter

Andy,

The key is screwed on. I know because I did notice it on the frame as I was carrying it to the opening.

If I did need to remove it, it wouldn't be an issue. A hacksaw blade would get through the screw head no problems then I would flip the key out with the blade or screwdriver.

7. devil's advocate

devil's advocate New Member

Hi CC.

Where exactly on the frame is the key positioned?

And, where do you live...

8. ODB

ODB New Member

"Hi CC.

Where exactly on the frame is the key positioned?

And, where do you live... "

But the locks on the INSIDE...so you'd have to break in to break out throught the window.;..

9. ODB

ODB New Member

^^^^ my typing is rather poor

10. devil's advocate

devil's advocate New Member

Nearly as poor as my logic... :(