What a week that was

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by leicsjoiner, Jun 1, 2008.

1. leicsjoiner

leicsjoiner New Member

First off my cordless drill was stolen from right outside the room I was working in. Not the charger, just the drill. Pretty useless to anybody, then, especially as it was about shot and was down for replacement anyway. Doesn't stop it being inconvenient and annoying though. What is wrong with people these days?

Strike two, noticed my chopsaw (Makita LS1013) was cutting a bit on the sloppy side and the turnbase was hard to move. When I got home, I gave it a check over and found the cast spigot that the turnbase pivots on had snapped off. JB Weld couldn't save it. Meh. More expense then. Decided eventually to dump it and go for a Metabo KGS303.

Spent yesterday morning in a local tool merchants, checking out the KGS303, talking to the guy in there about what I needed. Just about to drop the requisite £480 on the thing and he turns round and says "I've only got them in 240 mate". Ok, sell me the 110v demo one then, I need it for Monday. No problem he says. That'll be £480. Forget that. Call me old fashioned, but I want a bit of knock off on the demonstrator.

Change of plan. For £100 I can get a new turnbase for the Big Mak, so I'll get something cheap and nasty for a week or so then offload it in the small ads. Down to SF. Evolution Rage 3, £150. So what if people laugh at me and small children point in the street. Whilst I was there, I thought I might as well replace my stolen drill. Spotted the Hitachi triple pack offer

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/92579/Power-Tools/Kits/Hitachi-18V-Triple-Pack?ts=17585

which was good, as my ancient Bosch GBH needs replacing too so at that price I figured I couldn't lose. The batteries are NiCads but my Li Ion and Ni Mh batteries are backward compatible so that worked out well.

As for the Rage saw... well, get past the fact that it looks nasty and feels cheap, spend a couple of hours setting it up and it's certainly up to the job for a couple of weeks. The 25.4mm arbor is a pain as all my blades are 30mm and I've binned all my bore adaptors, so I'm stuck with the supplied blade. Still, for £150 it's not so bad. In fact, for that price I'd go as far as to say it's good once it's been tweaked up. Suppose it all turned out alright then.

2. stevie.c

stevie.c New Member

hope you have more luck with your hitachi than i have.the chuck on my 18v li-ion is the biggest load of cack i have come across.drilling locks out with fast bits i have to get 2 pairs of stilsons to release to bit.useing hss bits and they keep slipping in the chuck.