What amp terminal strip do I need for a tv?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by diy_master, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Can't comment any further as the OP doesn't seem to know what he has. If the existing TV is powered through the wall there must be a way of sorting out the new one.

Kind regards

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

F6DEDB75-041F-4658-A70D-3D85EDBF807F.jpeg Built this recently for my sister.

Lined out with MDF, 3 dbl sockets are covered over with a panel, held in place with Velcro strips

50mm waste pipe from hole behind tv to top left of chimney breast. Earth wire hanging out stays put and is 3 times the length of pipe and acts as a drawer wire

3 pin plugs won’t fit through but hdmi and any other audio cables pass easily

Easy really as chimney breast was open with a capped / vented chimney on the roof

diy_master likes this.
  3. diy_master

diy_master Member

Done over 5 years ago...

HDMI, SVGA, Scart, 3.5mm audio, TV co-axial, Wii, led lighting strip and kettle power lead. Unfortunately the new tv does not need take a kettle power lead, so need to cut it off.

tv bracket.jpeg

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

So what’s the wall construction ?

Dot and dab plaster board perhaps ?

And where is the socket providing the power ?

Can you not remove mains plug from new tv and kettle plug off old, securely tape old and new cables together, pull out old and new cable will follow

All theoretical of course, don’t know how tight those cables are and what kind of channel they pass through

5. diy_master

diy_master Member

It is a brick wall chimney breast, the power socket is to the bottom left of the chimney breast. There is no channel for the wires, so if it comes loose while pulling it, I would need to break through the brick to pull it out.

If I cut off the plug, does it usually invalidate the warranty?

6. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

7. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

8. diy_master

diy_master Member

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  9. What Peter is saying is,cut the plug top off the television and fit a male IEC connector on the flex,this then plugs into the IEC lead that was feeding the old television.

diy_master likes this.
  10. diy_master

diy_master Member

Just realised after I posted and re-edited it, seems like the safest solution.

11. diy_master

diy_master Member

12. Yes,that will be fine.

diy_master likes this.