What are my new downstairs bathroom options?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by NT555, Sep 15, 2018 at 9:27 AM.

1. NT555

NT555 Member

Hello All,

We are building a new downstairs bathroom at the front of the house in a porch type arrangement. We currently have a single bathroom on the first floor. The hot water tank is also on the first floor, adjacent to the bathroom and we have a shower pump to boost the flow.

The new bathroom will have a sink and a walk-in shower & loo.

One option is to run hot water and tank supplied cold water to the room, with the pipes supplying the sink and a split that goes to a pump to ensure decent flows in the shower. The pipe runs from these upstairs supplies to the new bathroom will be in region of 18m each.

One problem I can envisage with this is the time taken for the hot water to get to the sink and shower.

Would there be a system where the new bathroom is fed with only cold water, either from the main cold supply (in the kitchen), or the cold water tank upstairs.

For the sink hot water supply to sink it could go through one of those 'instant' electric hot water heaters. For the shower the single cold supply will go to a combined pump/heater to supply the shower. In the shower we want a simple, minimal, shower control - not a big plastic box with heater/pump inside.

There is no room for a cold water tank closer to (or in) the new bathroom but there will be room for a pump/heater to to be boxed in - but accessible for servicing.

As usual money is tight an I plan to do the donkey work of running pipe under the floors and for a qualified plumber to do the connections/installations. I'd like to use poly type pipe for speed/ease.

What are your thoughts please and many thanks in anticipation of your help.

2. just pumps

just pumps Active Member

Is there a time lag on the kitchen tap?
    Talk to the plumber who will finish off the connections after you have run the pipes as this might be the hard part. ;)

3. NT555

NT555 Member

About 20 seconds (to start to feel the heat change).

When I look at shower units in the Screwfix or ToolStation catalogues they all appear to be ones that are controlled directly. e.g. when you turn the knob on the the front of the enclosure it directly turns a valve in the enclosure.

How can this be used in a remote position from the shower or is a different type of shower required?

4. CGN

CGN Well-Known Member

Fit an electric shower and save the hassle. 10kW versions give a decent enough shower and if you have any problems with the boiler etc, you'll always have a means of showering.

As for the sink, just run your hot and cold feeds in using the shortest path practical.

Bargain Bucket likes this.