What are opinions on pictures of full tile installation

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Myles Cooper, Nov 4, 2021.

1. Myles Cooper

Myles Cooper New Member

The title is a bit of a loaded gun, and I'm sure there are a few of these posts kicking around, but I am really interested in peoples thoughts on the pics I have of my en suite midway through a tile and shower install. In essence the trader left after I realised and said that I wasn't happy.

A bit of context for people who like the fine detail; The ensuite is your typical new build box about two metres squared. The tiles I chose were ceramic at 280mm x 850mm and 11mm deep. (In retrospect a bu@@er to cut and probably not the best choice for the space. However, no concerns from the tiler.) I asked for the trim to be mitred, to me it looks more like it was chewed by a dog. The pipe sticking out of the wall is where they attempted to plum in a thermostat shower to replace the old one. The copper pipe fed off the basin is 10mm, the pex is 15mm. I read the shower instructions after the tiler left and it states clearly 20mm is recommended. The pictures of the floor are showing the chipboard substrate. The tiler used a uncoupling mat, but no backer board. Is this kosha?

I will be taking a few weeks to give it the 'have a go hero' treatment and will be ripping down tiles and drywall with the aim to stick some tiles up, make my own mistakes and come out with a better result (maybe), so will perhaps make a separate post on my progress sometime. Any thoughts or opinions are coll, even if you think I'm completely wrong and the pics look ok

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
  2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Seen worse. It’s not great tbf, and obviously lacking in attention to detail. A good grouting and siliconing job could possibly help save it but it’s nowhere near my standards.

3. Myles Cooper

Myles Cooper New Member

Yeah i'd agree that silicone would do a good cover up and it may even look nice in places, my big headache is with the door frame. The tiles are flush with the frame, so I don't see how you can get a good bead. All the cuts have either been done with a snap cutter or a grinder. Fair play, I guess you don't need a wet saw to get good cuts but these tiles were thick. Cheers for quick reply.

4. Weekend Warrior

Weekend Warrior New Member

The cut/break around the copper pipe is enough to get kicked off the job imo. Although as CGN said its salvagable ..

5. pppmacca43

pppmacca43 Super Member

Have seen worse, and grouting and silicone will hide a lot of it, but… when you are paying a professional you expect a professional job, and that isn’t one

6. Myles Cooper

Myles Cooper New Member

The 'solution' for the pipe is actually what caused the final argument. Yeah Macca, I guess it's how the story goes. If I was paying Steve down the pub a few bob then maybe I would have less need to moan, but I paid for what I thought was going to be a prof job. Anyway thanks for the validation. Could I ask, does anyone in the forums do expert opinions?

7. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

A snap cutter is generally the best, as long as it’s up to the job. As for the architrave, there should have been a discussion as to what to do. You could take it off, pack the frame out and refit it, step in the packing so the arch overlaps the tile etc and creates a feature. As for the cut by the pipe, yes it’s very sloppy. It harks back to the 70’s/80’s when diamond cutters weren’t so available.

8. pppmacca43

pppmacca43 Super Member

No reason why the pushfit elbow if they fitted it, couldn’t have been disconnected temporarily and a diamond tile holesaw used to get a perfect finish around the pipe. They are only a few quid and anyone carrying out this type of work should have the correct kit.

9. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

R A F

Myles Cooper and pppmacca43 like this.