What are the regs for radiator pipes in walls in a new build?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Gazzalad2000, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Gazzalad2000

Gazzalad2000 Member

Hi all

Ive read some guidance from the WRAS that says all radiator pipes need to be chased into a wall in a new build, but do the building regs say you HAVE to or not. As far as i know the WRAS is just guidelines but its building control that will say its acceptable or not

thanks

2. kiaora

kiaora Well-Known Member

Hi
    I’ve not seen any recommendations to bury pipes in the walls, ?
    If there is such a recommendation, I’d say, that’s not a good recommendation !

you pay to heat the water and send it round the house, if the pipes are in the room on the surface, you get the heat you’ve paid for, and it is dissipated into the room.

good luck
    Peter

3. Gazzalad2000

Gazzalad2000 Member

Thanks Peter, im struggling to find anything about the regs saying this but i have seen it on the WRAS PDF buti just cant see why either. Thanks

4. Mike83

Mike83 Well-Known Member

There’s no regulation to say pipes must be in walls but there’s regulations covering pipes in walls.

kiaora and Gazzalad2000 like this.
  5. Gazzalad2000

Gazzalad2000 Member

thanks, i know you have to make plastic pipes detectable, are there any regs for copper?

6. Jord86

Jord86 Well-Known Member

They are not chased in, they are surface clipped to the blockwork and dot and dabbed over.

7. Gazzalad2000

Gazzalad2000 Member

thats what i thought, why the WRAS think they need to set out guidelines that arent the same as building regs is beyond me