What are these tiles?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by B_Sharp, Apr 7, 2022.

1. B_Sharp

B_Sharp New Member

Hi folks, I have to repair a front garden wall, the top of the pillars are capped with a layer of tile then engineering bricks. One of the tiles has been damaged and i need to take the cap off and replace it. Problem is I cant find a replacment tile the same size, they dont appear to have been cut to size and measure approx 6" 1/2 x 9" seem like an odd size but I know nothing about tiles... They look like quarry tiles but i cant find anything in that size, i'm trying to avoid buying a tile cutter if possible, seeing as i only need to replace one, maybe two tiles. Are these specific for use in masonry? Am I being a total donut? I'm more carpenter than bricky! Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

2. stuart44

stuart44 Screwfix Select

They are probably creasing tiles, but these are usually 10.5 x 6.5, so you will need to crop them.

3. B_Sharp

B_Sharp New Member

Cheers Stuart, had a look online, creasing tiles look right. Could you tell me if can you cut these with a normal tile cutter? or do you need something a bit more heavy duty? Thanks.

4. stuart44

stuart44 Screwfix Select

I normally use an angle grinder as they are quite hard. I have cut them with a brick hammer by hitting the edges, not the face. That was on site when I wasn't paying for them, although most of them cut OK like that. It was when cropping them for tiled cills.

5. B_Sharp

B_Sharp New Member

Thanks again, looks like i might have to practice a bit with the grinder,