What are your thoughts on this?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by P. Gee, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Agree.

As I said before. Be really critical of yourself, you don't have to justify or comment about it to us. But, did you do a good job, to your standards? Coukd anybody else have done better for the same price? Could they or you have done better for a higher price? Proud of your work? Confident any other tradesperson would say the same?

If so, stand your ground and ask for your money.

Only give in, if you yourself thinks it wasn't good enough.

I am not criticising your work, I can't even see the issue. Just trying to make the point, that you are your own quality manager, was it up to your standards?

Deleted member 33931 and KIAB like this.
  2. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

So what would happen if the next customer did the same ? would you give up on that one ....

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  3. P J Thompson

P J Thompson Active Member

Am in full agreement that if you've only got a 2mm discrepancy over the length of a pair of 8 foot 18mm MDF doors, you've done very well indeed.
    As for how to approach the outstanding debt. The advice given here seems spot on. Be calm and reasonable, explain the nature of the material, offer them to bring in an independent to survey your work. Sounds very reasonable.
    If after that, they still don't pay, I wouldn't want to go down the legal route myself. I think I'd be tempted to say, fair play, you're not happy with what I've done, I can't do any more for you so I'll remove my work and let you try an alternative.

4. That is not a bad position to take, but you are still left out of pocket, for materials and time.

I guess you have taken a deposit, so there is a contract of sorts in place. Might not be so easy to just walk away.

5. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

What! Can you afford to lose £950 so easily? Nice if you can afford to take such a loss.

6. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

What would it cost to run off another set of doors? Assuming they came out perfect you could at least get the remainder.

7. That'd a thought.

Tho' I still don't understand how you can get 8' doors to be that straight. :)

8. P J Thompson

P J Thompson Active Member

You're right of course but I'd rather do that than the other two options personally.
    Legal route on a grand? Sooo much hassle and if it were me the stress of it all would be way too much. It'd probably cost me more than a grand in fuel to get to the beach for chilling out sessions :D
    Writing it off and leaving the doors in place? Not for me I strongly dislike chancers and would rather word got round that I won't be ripped off than that I would.

There is a contract yes but contracts are regularly broken aren't they. They have contracted to pay you X for fitting Y. It's not like you're demanding the full payment AND taking the doors away. They've refused to pay-contract broken surely?

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Any news P G?

10. P. Gee

P. Gee Active Member

Yes, and I'm afraid you won't like it. For my own sanity I had to walk away from this. I know it sounds stupid but you would have to be involved with these people to really understand just what I've been dealing with. I've since discovered I'm far from being the only tradesman who's good work has been criticized by these people. I want to semi retire this summer and I just couldn't face going down the legal route. I needed to put this behind me and move on to working with my many appreciative customers. Now no telling me off please!

11. P.Gee - it was for you to call, and your call only.

Now you've made your decision, put it totally behind you and look forward to yer retirement (which won't actually happen as peeps will still call you up for jobs... :) )

(Is there a network for tradespeeps in that area so that they can be warned about this person?)

KIAB likes this.
  12. Probably a good move.

Health and sanity is priceless

P. Gee and Deleted member 33931 like this.
  13. P. Gee

P. Gee Active Member

I realise as soon as i mentioned the word retirement it wouldn't really happen! More of a slowing down really as I'm starting to build a workshop at home and taking on slightly smaller jobs (not withstanding the 21 fire doors I've agreed to do!) I don't know of any local network for warning about difficult customers but I'll certainly look into it. I know it sounds daft but it feels good to put this one behind me.

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Just let a few local trades peeps know, it will soon get around.:)

Many years ago, I had one who wouldn't pay, I just fixed a few signs their fence during the night about non payment,etc:eek:,less than 24 hours laters I was payed.:)

P. Gee likes this.