What brand car tyres are good

Discussion in 'Car and Van Talk' started by lemonade, Apr 17, 2020.

1. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

2. lemonade

lemonade Member

I've used asda tyres in the past but used two different garages. The first place took an hour to fit two tyres so I wondered if they wasn't happy I didn't buy the tyres from them. Then the second garage asked me why I bought the tyres from asda as they recon they could of done them cheaper. I've tried asda tyres again and nobody around me does fitting.

3. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

going by the username
    lemon-car-use.jpg

masterdiy likes this.
  4. lemonade

lemonade Member

Toyota yaris

5. spannerw

spannerw Screwfix Select

Cracked side walls would indicate incorrect tyre pressure.

6. masterdiy

A nice Mid priced tyre for the Yaris.
    Avon ZV7 It has good reviews
    I have had Avons in the past, no complaints.
    As always do the homework, go compare price off Black Circle/Asda/ Joe Bloggs.

7. lemonade

lemonade Member

I had avon years ago and I didn't find them any good in the wet. I've have avon tyres on the back and I lost the back end in the rain so I wouldn't buy avon again.

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Slow down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

masterdiy likes this.
  9. masterdiy

lemon, I had a 2010 Yaris diesel
    I had the Avons on that. Drove to Germany for a holiday on the fast roads.
    Brilliant tyres.
    But it sounds like you need something expensive for your type of driving.
    So can only wish you find what you are looking for in your budget.

10. lemonade

lemonade Member

I don't drive fast so I don't need expensive tyres. When I lost the back end I was doing under 50 and if you seen the road you would know it should of never slid out. I can remember years ago having avon tyres on the front of my corsa and when you went up this certain hill in the rain you had to hope you didn't have to stop or you wouldn't get over the speed ramps and if you didn't have to stop the tyres would spin over the speed ramps. I know it could be the speed ramps but I didn't have this problem before I changed to avon tyres and I never had the problem when I then replaced the avon's with goodyear efficientgrip.

11. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

I find Firestones to be quite good for small cars; not the best out there but a good balance of cost and performance

12. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

I've always been pleased with Bridgestone Turanza tyres that were fitted on my Honda which I've never found reason to deviate from them.
    However, they're not cheap!
    Hankook tyres are on my van and they do seem to be a decent cheaper tyre.

13. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Just look for some inexpensive remoulds.

14. lemonade

lemonade Member

Do they still sell them. I see a lot of people getting part worn tyres

15. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Yes that's true, ebay have a wide selection of remoulds.

16. DannyDoLittle

DannyDoLittle Active Member

The question to you is.... What do you want from your tyre?? Quite??? Good handling in both the wet & dry?? Economic compared to most???

Have a look at www.oponeo.co.uk will break it all down for you, decide you budget and go from there.

17. sparky steve

sparky steve Screwfix Select

18. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

The question I always ask myself is would I feel happy waving all my loved ones off in a car where the only contact with the road was made by some carp cheap tyres because I or they were too tight to pay for decent ones. I make my economies elsewhere. It's only money.

ElecCEng and sparky steve like this.
  19. sparky steve

sparky steve Screwfix Select

Totally agree, approx 35yrs ago a friend spent rather a long time in hospital after two of the remoulds on his car failed drastically. The police investigated, & reported the tyre sidewalls had failed. Apparently remoulds were only to be driven up to speeds of 50mph max, friend had driven at 70mph on motorway, said it had slipped his mind that he was driving on remoulds. Needless to say never bought a remould ever again. As you point out willy, it’s the only contact the car has with the road, and is a vital saftey component in handling of the car, brakes,steering traction.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  20. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

I have BFGs on mine.
    But for a yaris I would just buy the cheapest.