What cable to make a longer custom extension lead

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by pauler, Aug 10, 2013.

1. pauler

pauler New Member

What cable should I use to make a custom 4 way extension lead to run from house to shed?

Would this be ok?
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/3-core-reel-flexible-cable-white-1-5mm-x-15m/47395

All the extensions we have seem to be 1.25mm so presumably 1.5mm is also ok?

Would run along house and then underground in some tubing to power a lamp, a printer and a fan heater during the winter.

Many thanks in advance.

2. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

:eek: Oh dear

No mate, cant just bodge a supply to an outbuilding

Its been done to death on here, search and ye will find

*** dont do, what you intend to do

3. pauler

pauler New Member

Yep I searched but i'm no electrician as you can tell and it all seemed a bit technical.

So say I wanted to power the lamp, a printer and a fan heater in the study indoors. I could plug them into a 4 way extension lead right?

Or I could sit in the garden with my lamp, a printer and a fan heater plugged into a 4 way?

So whats the difference in running the 4 way to a shed?

Please help me to understand the reasoning why. I obviously dont want to knowingly do anything stupid which is why I asked originally but I'm just inquisitive as to why it shouldn't be done.

Thanks.

4. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

pauler,  an extension lead out to your shed isn't the best way to do it as no doubt you understand.
                 There is no specific reason why you shouldn't do but bear in mind
    A flexible cord is subject to damage whilst lying out doors
    1.5 mm cable has a limited carrying capacity but will probably handle what you require it for. (if it works in the house it will work in the shed)
    1.25mm cable has a current carrying capacity of 13A , so as that's what will be in the plug top it would seem uneccassary to uswe 1.5mm ,, although it doesn't hurt to use the larger cable
    If your fan heater is 2Kw or switched to that then the extension will be fine
    A 3kW heater is 13A ,close to the limit of the fuse in the plug, you see.

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

"There is no specific reason why you shouldn't do"

One specific reason I could think of is that flex is not designed to be permanently exposed to the outside elements(whether in the open or buried).

Should only be used temporarily.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

6. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

You really should have read my post before replying in that manner.

7. Mr. Handyandy

I read your post L but you stated there is no specific reason. Although you went on to say about the pitfalls, that WAS a specific reason.

You seemed to suggest it wasn't.

In other words, you said it was ok, but it isn't.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

8. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

I said it was ok, but it wasn't the best
    I also said there may well be damage to the flex as it is outdoors.
    sparky Si FI posted to the effect that it just shouldn't be done,,, this left the op confused
    The only reason that it is advised not to do it is because as you say the flexible cable is not designed to be used out of doors.
    nevertheless the flex can be used and will probably give years of service before it breaks down.

op, if you really must use a flexible cord then perhaps an arctic flex would be better than the rubber you are considering

9. Mr. Handyandy

I accept what you say there.

:)

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

seen it all before likes this.
  10. J.P.

J.P. New Member

Phnrrrrrr phnrrrrr..