What cement to use for Porcelain tiles?

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by baracus, Jun 3, 2019.

1. baracus

baracus Member

Hello,

Ive been told to use a mix containing Portland cement and not builders cement to lay Porcelain tiles for my patio. What cement product does that relate to? Many of them mention portland in one way or another..

Is there a particular brand of cement to use in the mix?

2. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

That's confusing as "builders' cement" is OPC - Ordinary Portland Cement.

I wonder if this is a misunderstanding as cement is rarely ever used in it's own right and is one ingredient in a mix of others to provide different products such as mortar, render or concrete - all of which contain cement as a primary constituent but are totally different products - although each has been called 'cement' by the ill informed.

3. baracus

baracus Member

Thanks.

I understand that cement will make up part of the mix along with sand. Im asking which cement would be best to use?

4. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

As, WillyEckerslike said an ordinary portland cement will do the job, but make sure to add a bit of SBR to the mix and also prime the tiles with SBR prior to laying.

What will you be bedding the tiles onto?

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Seems some confusion here (perhaps it’s me) ;)

Laying porcelain tiles outside, use a bagged / powdered tile adhesive suitable for exterior use - Mapei Keraquick being one brand

You don’t lay porcelain tiles on a mortar mix, porcelain not being porous, won’t get a good bond

Likewise, ‘most’ ready mixed tubs of tile adhesive are for ceramic tiles / small tiles and not large format or porcelain tiles

Powdered tile adhesive is cement based and cures differently and is chemically different to ready mixed stuff

So, good quality exterior powdered tile adhesive for this job, after suitable preparation of course

6. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

[QUOTE="DIYDave., post: 1714087, member:

So, good quality exterior powdered tile adhesive for this job, after suitable preparation of course[/QUOTE]
    Thats why i asked what the tiles sub-base will be.
    A dedicated tile adhesive would be an extremely expensive option if the sub grade happens to be a compacted hardcore, for example.
    Over a concrete base, then yes, use tile adhesive.

7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Thats why i asked what the tiles sub-base will be.
    A dedicated tile adhesive would be an extremely expensive option if the sub grade happens to be a compacted hardcore, for example.
    Over a concrete base, then yes, use tile adhesive.[/QUOTE]

I may have read this post as tiling over an existing patio, more details needed

Also porcelain tiles or pavers being used ?

8. LEH

LEH Active Member

9. baracus

baracus Member