What cloth would u recommend to out 3 in 1 oil on your tools?

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Sincity, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Sincity

Sincity Member

Want to get a cloth which is good to put 3 in 1 oil on my hand tools. Is it worth spraying wd40 on any moving parts beforehand?

2. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

I use 3 in 1 in a spray can and then wipe them with a paper wiper. For any that are slightly rusty, I clean them with an oil soaked 3M abrasive cloth.

3. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Do not mix wd40 and 3 in 1 the wd40 will wash off the oil, use either or.
    I keep a microfibre cloth for jobs like wiping off surplus oil.

Deleted member 11267 and Sincity like this.
  4. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

I've used old worn out T-shirts, underpants and socks as rags all my life and wouldn't dream of paying good money to buy a rag from a shop ... tight-fisted git that I am ... and I'm not even Scottish!

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

And Biological Persil.:D

6. Rolled up cotton t shirt pressed into a small tin, inch wider than tin so it sticks out of the top, soaked in 3 in oil, I use it to oil planes and saws, wipe chisels on it after use. got the idea from Paul Sellers: https://paulsellers.com/2017/02/rag-can-oiler/

7. Sincity

Sincity Member

I guess just a half can of beans will do. Better than spraying it and then breathing it in

Deleted member 210637 likes this.
  8. Sincity

Sincity Member

Won't wd40 be better on moving parts and 3 in 1 better on stopping rust?

9. 3 in 1 would be better on moving parts as it is an oil. WD40 is a water dispersant, hence the initials WD.

teabreak likes this.
  10. The ones I have are made from half sized bean tins, cotton works best as it can be rolled really tight then hammered in.

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Go current...........'Microfibre' ;)

12. Some of us oldies are to set in our ways to try new fangled things :p

13. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

I like microfibre cloths great for drying cleaning etc I buy the big bundle from Screwfix they wash well (do not use soft rinse) but I found to my cost they are no good for wiping excess flux off a hot soldered joint unless you want a fluffy blue coating on the pipe!:D

14. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Found the microfibre cloths on ebay to be far cheaper. :)

15. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

+ 40 is the number of times they tried the r3cipe before current one was chosen

Deleted member 11267 likes this.
  16. Sincity

Sincity Member

Any good?

Old t shirt. Not nearly folded though Screenshot_20200614-114304_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20200614-114310_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20200614-114304_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20200614-114310_Gallery.jpg

17. oiler.jpg

Yours is OK if you want to wear the t shirt again, needs more work to make an oiler. you need to cut the sides of the t shirt then roll it up so its about 2cm taller than the can, then press it in all the way around and bash it in on a flat surface.

Here is one I made earlier......:p

Sincity likes this.
  18. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Out of a pair of Val's old knickers...

19. Don't let your imagination run wild Willy, its nothing as glamorous, just an old pair of Mrs Tux's harvest festivals, I don't think Val would wear such things :D

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  20. Sincity

Sincity Member

I guess cut the arms and collar off t shirt so it's more square and when rolled up more level. I'll have another go