what color to choose?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by power flush, Aug 23, 2008.

1. power flush

power flush New Member

Hi avery one I am planing to paint the internal walls of my house ground flor 1st 2nd and 3rd floor (the rooms wont be painted)
    just the halls of the floors

1-Which color would you recomend me?

I have plastered all the walls and there are some inperfections I was wondering if the is any product like undercoat paint that I could use firtsly to cover some inperfections on the plaster walls and then use this dulux supermatt coat and the final coat use the color in silk finish

2-Could you also confirm if I can use this undercoat firts or I shall use the Dulux trade supermatt strainght away.

many thanks

2. jcts

jcts Active Member

i can't recommend a colour as i'm not gonna live there am i. you need to pick a colour that you like and you can live with. go in to a merchants and look at a colour chat. undercoat is for wood work not for walls and ceilings, you want to use a matt emulsion. their is no paint that can cover imperfections, that's what sandpaper and filler is for. for bare plaster i would recommend you seal with dulux supermatt water down 50/50

3. devil's advocate

devil's advocate New Member

Pf, as said above, use matt emulsion for the walls, not silk. Matt not only looks much nicer, but will be more successful at hiding any imperfections.

The more matt the better! You can get some wonderful 'chalky' matts which look wonderful, tho' they might not be as hard wearing.

On new, bare plaster, the first coat needs to be thinned slightly - I think around 10-15% added water is recommended.

Roll it on, and allow to dry fully.

Then stand back and see just how 'imperfect' your walls are - you may be pleasantly surprised.

If there are any dents/dips/holes/gaps, then fill them - after this first watered-down ('mist') coat - with fine-surface filler. Allow to dry, sand down, and apply next coat.

Colour? How can anyone suggest a specific colour to you?!

Go round all the superstores and collect all the paint brochures you can find.

Make yourself a cuppa, grab a pen, and look through them. There are bound to be interior shots showing hallways as well as rooms. Whenever you see a colour you quite like, then note the page number down on the front cover.

Then begin to short-list.

Stand in your hallway with the brochures, and try and visualise.

Other things to consider: how much natural light is there in the hall? Could you have contrasting or complimentary colours on different walls, or just a single colour all the way through? What finish will be on the floor - if a dark, rich colour, then keep the walls light.

4. power flush

power flush New Member

Thanks every one for your help.
    I'll use dulux supermatt after that I can color the walls with a silk finish or that it's not recomended?

5. go in to a merchants and look at a colour chat.

Or alternatively, go into a merchants and have a chat with a colour chart.

6. jcts

jcts Active Member

you can use a silk paint if you want but i wouldn't recommend it. it shows up all roller marks, imperfections, looks more old fashioned, can't wipe it etc. i would use a matt paint, flat matt by dulux is fantastic, it dries perfectly flat and you can wipe off everyday marks such as fingerprints etc