what counts towards home energy efficiency?

Discussion in 'Eco Talk' started by MGW, Jan 10, 2019.

1. MGW

MGW Well-Known Member

Looking for home move, and I see energy ratings for the homes, with house I like at bottom of list. Looking at the house I can see a number of factors.

Sloping ceilings where clearly no loft above so limited space for insulation, and to do anything would involve likely removing and refitting plaster board?

A conservatory with no door to rest of house, so can't be closed off either to stop losses in winter or gains in summer.

A stair case direct off down stairs room so heat will likely rise to upper rooms.

And wet under floor heating not a clue if insulation fitted below.

However when we raised the issue were told due to original lighting and this has now been addressed. That seems odd, I have known where previous owners have taken bulbs with them, so seems odd that lights could be responsible for the low reading, I am inclined to reject house because of the work I see as being required to bring it up to reasonable standard specially with oil fired central heating which is not cheap to run.

Comments please.

2. Hans_25

Hans_25 Active Member

I would treat the energy rating with a large pinch of salt. With light bulbs for example, they just need to see a single energy saving bulb to put a tick in a box.

The issues you state are all valid, you need to ask yourself whether these amount to a deal breaker, only you can do that. How much extra is it likely to add to the heating bill and can you live with that? Are there good aspects of this house that counterbalance this? Every property is a compromise.

The Teach likes this.
  3. MGW

MGW Well-Known Member

Thank you, I was thinking standard supply to light bulbs 6A = 1.4 kWh and would never use that much, standard boiler is 6 kWh to 28 kWh modulating, so bulb usage is a very low proportion of total, so light bulbs should not really affect the total that much?

4. Hans_25

Hans_25 Active Member

I'd ignore light bulbs, very low wattage and most can easily be changed to LED. Heating costs are the biggie. Say typical average gas/elec bill is circa £100/month or £1200 per year, even a very inefficient system is not going to increase that by say more than 50%, so an extra £50/month max. Just rough figures.

Actually its not even that bad. My monthly energy bill is around £65 for a 3 bed semi...say gas is half of that, so worst case it might increase to £80 or £90 per month...£30/month max extra which is £400/year. Most aspects can be improved with insulation. I'd look at the property as a whole against what else is around and affordable.

MGW likes this.
  5. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Active Member

When I built a conservatory like this a few years ago, (2011), because there was no door it was classed as an "extension", not just a conservatory, and had to comply with building regs, including U value...
    Basically they calculated the U Value of the original house, before any work done and took that all into account, (Side extension with modern insulation values, double glazing, insulation in loft, cavity insulation)... this work all compensated for the losses through the conservatory, but we still had to make sure that was well insulated... High spec double glazed roof, high spec insulation in the brick walls of the conservatory, and 6 inches of high spec insulation under the screed floor...
    If your proposed house was done "properly" they may well have had to do the same. Might be worth checking if they have a compliance certificate for the conservatory if it was needed?

I realise that what I've just written might not help you, but if they should have a had a certificate, and haven't, that might give you some leverage with finance?

Good luck,

Regards,

Cando

MGW likes this.
  6. rogerk101

rogerk101 Well-Known Member

I was reliably informed that light bulbs are NOT included in the EPC that comes with a property ... for the simple reason that they can be changed the minute the EPC has been issued ... unlike insulation or a boiler which are hardly likely to be swapped before/after the EPC is issued in order to save a few £s.

It is extremely short term thinking to compare energy running costs with energy efficiency improvement costs. The former is an annual cost that happens every year and has a significant impact on the rent you can charge (if a rental) or the price you can sell the house for (if selling). The latter lasts forever ... so has a big impact on the former. It has an even bigger impact on the rent you can charge and the selling price when you eventually sell.

MGW likes this.
  7. MGW

MGW Well-Known Member

The gas bill for house 21 Nov 2018 to 2nd Jan 2019 was estimated at £128.68 we have a higher meter reading than bill but since both start and finish both estimated it would seem likely we will have an annual bill of around £300 which is low enough not to worry about energy saving methods. However at £1000 per year then the fuel bill would worry me.