What do we think to this brand new worktop installation?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Woods94, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Woods94

Woods94 New Member

Hi all,

Kitchen fitter coming to the end of a renovation and installation of Ikea kitchen. Generally a really good job throughout apart from the worktop!

Laminate worktop that came with a nice tidy factory laminated end peice. For one worktop he cut to size and used the tidy end to join together with another worktop and the mingin cut edge is exposed on one end. He's tried to tidy it up with laminate strips but it looks ****, scuffed and chipped and doesn't even look straight!

Partner summed it up well, doesn't look brand new, more like it's been there 5 years

Thinking of asking for money off/ new worktop - thoughts??

Cheers

Attached Files:

• 1.jpeg
      1.jpeg
      File size:
      136.3 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpeg
      2.jpeg
      File size:
      222 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpeg
      3.jpeg
      File size:
      185.4 KB
      Views:
  2. Jord86

Jord86 Well-Known Member

It’s poor but it looks like there’s enough overhang in the first photo for it to be recut and salvaged.

3. koolpc

koolpc Well-Known Member

I agree but dont let him do it. Get someone else in to recut and fix!

4. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Well-Known Member

How good is the join between the two tops as that's where the problem with poor fitting usually comes? The bit you're not happy with is the easy bit usually. As Jord says, it looks salvageable from what we can see.

PenaltyCharge likes this.
  5. Tony H

Tony H New Member

Shocking finish, but salvageable.

6. Woods94

Woods94 New Member

Thanks for your responses. Not something I'd considered to be honest!

The reason he gave for putting the factory laminated end as the joint end is to protect from any moisture in the join - is this standard practice or has he just made a mistake?

7. Steely dan EFC

Steely dan EFC New Member

You seem to have enough overhang for it to be "fixed". Needs the nasty bit cutting off, front to rear. Then needs to be turned on to it's face, and a router with a double fluted profile cutter, run along the cut, using the outside straight edge of a butt and scribe template, and clamps.
    i wouldn't let the feller who did that anywhere near it. Looks like he's cut it with a plasterboard saw.
    use somebody who advertises doing butt and scribe joints. They will know exactly what to do. I would then get your 'fitter' to reimburse you the cost.

8. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Well-Known Member

Do you mean there's a laminated end in the join? Can you post a picture of that as well?

9. Woods94

Woods94 New Member

Yeah that's right - pre laminated ends (See pic for the ends on offcuts) joined with butt and scribe joints - although they're just straight ends and I've often seen them done with a curve in them (See pic)?

Will take a pic of the join when I get home from work. According to him that's best practice but can't see anyone else saying that.

Thanks again!

Attached Files:

10. Hans_25

Hans_25 Well-Known Member

Looks to me (I might be wrong) that your worktop chappy has done things back to front, ar$s about face. I would have used the finished end as the end of the worktop (so no need for cutting and making a bodge) and done a proper mason's mitre on the join.

Muzungu likes this.
  11. Muzungu

Muzungu Well-Known Member

I have nasty feeling about the upcoming photo.

longboat and Woods94 like this.
  12. Wobbywobwob

Wobbywobwob New Member

Looks like they cut the edging off, and used that to re-edge once they cut the worktop to length.
    The edge needs to be re cut and a new piece of pvc edging to be installed by a professional.

13. Woods94

Woods94 New Member

Joint on the other end of the problem worktop with the laminate-laminate join. What do you
    think?

Attached Files:

14. Wobbywobwob

Wobbywobwob New Member

The guy isn't a kitchen fitter.

gpierce likes this.
  15. kitfit1

kitfit1 Well-Known Member

From your pics OP and your description of how the corner joint was done, i'd say the following.
    It's clear that your fitter has never fitted PVC edged worktops before. It's also clear that he has never done a Masons Mitre, because if he had it wouldn't be edged on the joint at all.
    Just a guess, but i would say he dosn't own a router or a worktop jig and certainly not an edge trimmer. He has filled the PVC edging, something you should never do with PVC.
    Along with @Muzungu, i'm waiting with baited breath to see the pics of the corner joint before saying any more.

16. Woods94

Woods94 New Member

Cheers for all your help guys!

All of the above in mind, how much is fair to request off of his invoice when it comes and the best way to go about it?? Total comes to £1800 for floor tiling, fitting kitchen, few new sockets and replacing a leaky valve for the outside tap

Edit: should stress that the money off the bill will go to a decent fitter to rectify!

17. rogerk101

rogerk101 Well-Known Member

Why not get some quotes from a real fitter to put things right, and then present them to the chump that made the mess?
    My guess is that it'll be a day's work, so about £200.

18. jonathanc

jonathanc Well-Known Member

£200 quid plus a new worktop. have a good look at his workmanship elsewhere. If he thinks that is acceptable i do wonder what else you are left with.

19. greenback78

greenback78 Active Member

Photo isn’t clear but it looks like he’s just pushed it up and not even filled the inevitable ridge?

20. kitfit1

kitfit1 Well-Known Member

Looks like i missed this pic :oops:

OP, what is at the other end of the Male joint in this pic ?