What do we think to this brand new worktop installation?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Woods94, Feb 6, 2020.

1. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Putting right other peeps ****, always takes longer than just doing it properly in the first place. Plus, i don't know what you do for a living, i fit kitchens and no way am i going to work for less than £250 a day.

2. Jimmycloutnail

Jimmycloutnail Active Member

That’s not a professional install, and it looks like there is no corner post fitted to the base units below either?

3. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Hi. Are these Ikea wood tops? They have that look about them.

If so then they are chipboard with a 4mm ‘veneer’ and edging.

Not sure what has happened but looks like the fitter has skimmed off the edging and reused on the cut face. The tops are actually difficult to fit well and are best butted up together unless you are a pro kitchen installer. Need to buy a new edge strip and have it fitted professionally.

4. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

I thought much the same when i first looked at the pics. But the more i looked at them the more i thought they were just PVC edged tops.

5. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

OP, can you take another picture of the corner units, as Jimmy says "it looks like there is no corner post fitted to the base units below "
    Jimmy, it could be a two door carousel unit?????

6. cliffk

cliffk New Member

Oh no yet another fitter from the not a clue brigade.
    I think £200 is a very Conservative figure for rectification to do it properly the tops need to come out which means sink and if fitted hob removal, to do a proper mitre joint it's possible at least one new worktop will be required.
    Plus as previously said you don't know what you will find, if the fitter thinks his workmanship on the worktops is good what's the hidden work like.
    What a shame people are put in this situation by incompetent fitters who must think they are doing a good job these people should do something they are good at which obviously is not fitting kitchens. Did the same guy carry out tiling, plumbing and electrical work???

7. Jimmycloutnail

Jimmycloutnail Active Member

Yes could be I’ve not fitted ikea stuff before but even a carousel corner a corner post is usually attached to one of the door for clearance.

8. cliffk

cliffk New Member

I think Ikea carousel corners have one door hinged off the cabinet and the second door hinged off the first door (if that makes sense) so its sort of bi fold and no corner post.

Jimmycloutnail likes this.
  9. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

If this guy also installed some extra sockets I would get them checked also

barbaricduck likes this.
  10. s1988kieran

s1988kieran New Member

Hi there. I fit Ikea kitchens and they only do 2 types of corner unit. The 2 door open carousel and a semi standard blanking panel but it is supplied with a post and filler.

11. s1988kieran

s1988kieran New Member

Hi. I fit Ikea kitchens regularly. These look like the walnut veneer worktops. There are normally custom made to length so there shows have been an edge on all the way around and you only cut the unseen corner end where the join is. To me this worktop is ruined and needs replaced. Only problem is I think that worktop is now obsolete as I have had a few remedial jobs regarding this style and they can’t be purchased anymore

12. barbaricduck

barbaricduck Active Member

Looks like a dog has been chewing the end of that worktop..carp carp finish...bad for DIY never mind a charging trade..
    I would also be getting the electrics checked out too..sounds like a right bodger...