What do you look for in a paintbrush

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Tangoman, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Tangoman

Tangoman Well-Known Member

I was lucky to inherit some old paintbrushess off my father that were great to work with. As they've been worn out though I've replaced with cheapos, which I'm sick of.
    So what's good in a paintbrush?
    Type of bristle? Real or synthetic?
    Edge shape?
    Price bracket for a decent one?

I mainly use them for cutting in and woodwork - prefer to roll the walls.

Cheers,

Tango

2. jmcbuilders

jmcbuilders New Member

Try PURDY V Good

3. dectip

dectip New Member

you definately get what you pay for where brushes are concerned.If you are using brushes every day then buy the best you can afford and look after them it will pay you in the long run and the more you use them the better they will get and use only pure bristle brushes.
    A good test to see if your brushes are pure bristle is to take one bristle off the dry brush and burn it,if it smells like your hair burning then it,s pure bristle.
    Hope this helps.

4. Treacle

Treacle New Member

My Favourites are either Hamilton or Seagull brushes. The Hamilton ones are quite expensive. The 4" was £30, but I've used it most weeks for 18 months and it's still as good as new. The Seagull brushes are much cheaper (around a fiver), synthetic but fantastic for cutting in. I haven't had them long but they don't shed bristles and keep their shape

5. jay

jay New Member

hi , I agree with jmc purdy r great and very reasonably priced for the quality they are. Around £20 for a 3" and 2". good luck