What Filler for ceiling? And skim or line?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by thestraycat, May 5, 2020.

1. thestraycat

thestraycat Member

Hi guys,

A relatively easy one here, 3 issues i need to solve!

1. As you can see the plasterboard ceiling use to be papered with a thick lining paper. I was hoping to tape up the hairline cracks and skim coat it with a roller to apply and a float to smooth after scraping the last of the gluey paper off. Can anyone offer any guidance? I'm not looking for A1 finish, just average to good, doing the work myself and am just looking for something that will work. I've spent the last 6 weeks looking at about 50 youtube tutorials from everything from plaster courses to roller and skim! Any advice on a product and technique would be amazing. If it's a bad idea and not worth it let me know and i'll just line it again with paper.

2. Would i use the same technique on the top 6 inches of wall that meets the ceiling? when i removed the old picture rail the surface under the picture rail is a good 2mm sunken in from the rest of the wall and could do with filling out a little so the lining paper sits well. Could i simply use Gyproc Easifill on this? I plan on lining the walls so just need something thats easily workable and can be papered over.

3. I have a largish gap under my window cill to fill. Was thinking of spraying with water, applying expanding foam, sanding it down then coating it in a coat of easifill. Again just looking for advice with a view to line over it with paper.

Any info, products and technique would be amazing. Looking at starting today. :)

Pics below for reference.

Attached Files:

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Cracks I use https://www.british-gypsum.com/products/gyproc-fibatape-perfect-finish?tab0=0

Bodge DIY orbital sander 120 grade mesh or paper discs to vacuum and run over. Will take off paste and crud

Beeline sealer 3-1 or waterproof PVA diluted

Fill channels and anything more than 3 to 4mm with easyfill of any powder filler. Sand and seal.

Toupret painters smoother (never used) or I use terraco handycoat I mail order. Roll or trowel on.
    Smooth off using big blade. Don't be to fussy and sand again
    Paint

Under window board foam and skim but allow for a little depth of filler

3. thestraycat

thestraycat Member

Spot on Wayners, Took your advice on the under window cill and the 6" of wall that meets the ceiling with easifill. Worked a treat.

What do you suggest i use the tourpet painters smooth for? The ceiling? Am i right in thinking your suggestion is tourpet painters smoother to skim the ceiling with after sanding and sealing? If so, how thick? Just wanted to confirm.

You say you use the Terraco handycoat? I take it that you use the Terraco Handycoat EZ Roll product they do? Would it work for the skimming the ceiling in the pics in my first post?

Last edited: May 7, 2020
  4. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Yeah. Sometimes I don't seal prior to skim but it can pull and drag on dry spots. A thin sealer helps even the spreading. B and Q have some toupret ready mixed so pick one. Apply as guide but it's not thick. One i use is 2mm at a time then I get fan going to blow air to dry then get second coat on same day. Just a summer fan

5. thestraycat

thestraycat Member

Thanks for the info this is super helpful. I can seal with pva diluted i take it? What would you suggest is the better product? toupret or the terraco handycoat? I'll buy whatever you've had good results with.

I take it both products are flexible which is why they work well as a ceiling skim? do you tape the plasterboard with scrim prior to applying to ceilngs?

When you say you put on 2mm of the Terraco is that the final coat or you do put on two coats? making a 4mm layer?

Have you had any luck using it to skim walls with?

6. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

You can layer skim but 2mm seems the maximum you can get on I found. Put another coat and its 4mm.
    Mesh tape on first as sticky,
    Toupret has good reviews and from people I know and can be bought local so thought that would be your best bet. Try one first and buy more if it's going ok. Material has a bit of give and flex

7. thestraycat

thestraycat Member

Makes sense. Have you ever had any issues with it cracking or ceilings or walls? Have you used it much?

8. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

If plasterboard moves along the crack when you push then yes it will crack. Sometimes nothing you do holds off cracks with ground movement with wet winters and dry summers. I rake cracks out and if needed inject foam to pack gap behind if there is a joist behind. Fill then tape. Finger's crossed

9. thestraycat

thestraycat Member

Thanks Wayners, putting together my materials order as we speak. If the edges of windows need sharpening up because there a bit bumpy or chipped etc.

What product(s) do you use prior to skimming with terraco or toupret? Is it worth using some sort of tape or bead or edge prior to a thin 2mm coat of skim?

10. thestraycat

thestraycat Member

@Wayners - How much terraco product do you think id need to skim coat a 4m x 4m room with ceiling? Take it you've been buying the 25kg tubs? The room isnt super rough just need a light skim.

11. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

No 5kg.
    The 25kg is pallets only when I phoned rep but there are stockists in uk but none near me.
    4x4 maybe two of the 5kg tubs.
    I don't use bead with skim coats as they are just that, a thin skim.

12. thestraycat

thestraycat Member

@Wayners That's interesting. I spoke to them today and may have gone wrong by mentioning that i wanted to apply a 2mm skim. After totalling up my rooms wall volumes (its only 6 rooms including ceilings in an end of terraced house, most are under 4m x4m and the ceilings, It came to 360sqm... Based on a 2mm skim, I was told i'd need 122 x 5kg tubs... Does that seem a bit excessive to you?

Maybe the 2mm coverage isn't necessary to cover minor dings and scratches in the plaster? Based on your coverage above i'd probably only need just 20 tubs... Did you do the ceilings as well and still get coverage from your 2 tubs for the 4x4m room? Really interested to hear as dont want to over order! lol

Last edited: May 13, 2020
  13. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

2 tubs just the ceiling 4x4m
    Guess you will try a few first Vs such s big order. You might not like it.
    That amount you really need the 25kg tubs so need to speak to sales rep. I normally buy 4 X 5kg at a time but I also plaster with multi finish if needed. Depends on job

14. thestraycat

thestraycat Member

Thanks Wayners, So if the edge of the original plastering isnt particularly sharp do you have any experience with a super thin corner tape that's easily hidden by 1mm of skim? Does such a product exist?

15. thestraycat

thestraycat Member

16. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Yeah. You can use that. Not easy stuff to use. I seal the tape to help application but that's not really what supposed to be done. Works though.

17. thestraycat

thestraycat Member

@Wayners - Thanks, why would you say its not easy to use? Just a bid fiddly i take it? I'm guessing that it's adhesive backed so stick it on the corner and mold round the corner with your hands by eye, and then skim the over the tape? Do you fully coat the corner in skim or leave the very corner edge exposed? Does it matter?

Is there a brand i should be looking for that makes a better version?

18. fff

fff Active Member

Hi reading through this thread for information on skimming and fixing plasterboard. I have the mesh scrim tape and the flat tape. I am going to buy Toupret as per Wayners advice. I have a couple more questions. At what stage do I use the PVA? And also when using mesh tape do i cut 1mm channel in surround plasterboard so that mesh sits flat within or can mesh go straight onto cracks and then hide with skim of mud?

19. thestraycat

thestraycat Member

@Wayners - Hi Wayners i've finished up doing the whole room and ceilings with the terraco product and it's come out a treat. Quick question though. I sanded the surface to remove ridges and nibs etc with a 320 grit and feel that it may be a little too smooth! As when i apply a base coat of emulsion (not thinned down) It has a habit of starting to go off and then pulling away from the terraco... It seems that neat paint sturggles to adhere and stick tot he new surface, but the product says no primer necessary! Had the same issue with the paint pulling away after being re-worked on the ceiling when using polycell crack free ceiling paint (just for an extra level of protection :)

What's your process of painting over the new surface? And what have you noticed?

20. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Terraco is smooth and last one I sanded I used 120g although I feel this is a little too harsh but that's all I had so went easy. 180g is best for my setup but they recommend 320g I think. Bit fine for me. Takes too long to sand.

Try prime with layland acrylic primer white with water added. I use alot of that to prime. 2 weeks ago i used Johnstones durable acrylic with a splash of water,as it's a tad thick that paint rolled on with wooster pro dooz. Hamilton green are just as good.
    Use something bigger than a 9 inch roller and don't back roll to much. Leave for 5+ hours before you coat again or you will wake up the previous coat and it will start playing up which might be your problem?

What paint you using?