What happens when the police gives you points

Discussion in 'Car and Van Talk' started by lemonade, Dec 25, 2022.

1. lemonade

lemonade Member

Two weeks ago my boy crashed his car so someone called the police and they gave him 3 points for a bald tyre but he said he haven't heard anything yet so I want to know what happens when the police tells you you're going to get points.

2. Knight Rider

Knight Rider Member

I'm pretty sure it's the court that puts points on your licence.
    The police merely refer the offence to the court, or issue a fixed penalty notice.
    I think a Notice of Prosecutution should be issued within two weeks.

You can get points from fixed penalty notices, but you have the option of paying the penalty and receiving the points, or a court appearance.

This RAC site explains a lot:
    https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/legal/fixed-penalty-notices/#:~:text=How long does it take,NIP) letter within 14 days.

I suspect a bald tyre is not an edorseable offence, so no points on your licence, just the fine.
    But don't quote me on that.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2022
  3. sled

sled Member

It’s not up to the police what points or fine he gets but if your boy asked them they might have said probably 3 points or probably a fine or both.
    If he is getting points/fine they would have officially reported him
    “You are reported for driving a motor vehicle with a bald tyre on a road. You do not have to say anything but it may harm your defence if you do not mention now something you later rely on in court. Anything you do say may be given in evidence”
    Ask him if this happened.
    The police submit paperwork. He either goes to court or the dvla put points on his license.
    He’ll get official post telling him what’s going on but it takes weeks.

lemonade likes this.
  4. lemonade

lemonade Member

He said they didn't caution him but they did write everything down online and they told him he would receive a letter.

5. JOMEL

JOMEL Screwfix Select

Hi
    Just curious.
    Did you or he know it was illegal.
    Non or very low tread ?
    Age of boy

Johnny M

6. sled

sled Member

The letter will be - admit the offence, get points/fine, or elect to go to court.
    It’s a legal requirement for them to caution but they’ll say they did.
    I’ve seen enough of these police camera action programmes on tv where 50% of them don’t caution even when they know there’s a camera in their face. They still seem to get away with it. It’s the state of the police nowadays!
    They still need to submit paperwork.
    Depends on the individual officer whether they can be bothered.
    Wait to see if he gets a letter, if not forget about it. If he does it’s a life lesson.

7. lemonade

lemonade Member

The car had a mot just under 3 months ago and there was no mention of the tyres but he did replace the track rod ends but he didn't get the tracking done so i'm guessing it's worn the edge down. He's 22

paj likes this.
  8. lemonade

lemonade Member

Do you know roughly how long the letter could take to arrive. Will they still have to do paper work if it's all done online now.

9. sled

sled Member

I’m presuming they must be traffic officers?
    Everyday plod don’t have devices to do it online at the scene.
    If they were traffic then it’s done, the paperwork’s in and he’s getting a letter. That’s their job. Everyday plod have other things to worry about.
    If they did it and submitted it at the scene, id say 4 weeks but you’ve got Xmas and postal strike.

10. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Drivng with a bald tyre is classed as the vehicle not being roadworthy. Not only can he get points and a fine, but it can invalidate his insurance.

His age is irrelevant, he has passed his test and is in charge of the vehicle, so it is his duty to ensure it is roadworthy.

Sorry.

sparky steve and Astramax like this.
  11. lemonade

lemonade Member

I think they was normal police officers. The police officer took everything down on her mobile phone

12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Pretty much sums the situation up.:(

Bazza-spark likes this.
  13. Bazza-spark

Look forward to a massive jump in insurance renewal prices too.

14. lemonade

lemonade Member

He's just renewed his insurance.

15. sled

sled Member

If the tyre is under the limit, he’s just got to suck it up.
    Nowadays paperwork is just clicks at a computer and swipes of a device but more clicks and swipes need to be done back at the station.
    It all takes time and some coppers have better things to be doing.
    Has he already got 3 points and with him being young this might mean a ban?
    If he has it might be worth fighting it. It all depends on the state of the tyre.
    Either way he has to wait to see if he gets the letter

16. Bazza-spark

Did he declare the offence?

If his renewal was before then he will need to tell them after his conviction.

17. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

May well be required to retake the driving test again if he has not been driving for over one year after passing the test.

18. JOMEL

JOMEL Screwfix Select

Hi Lemonade.
    Oh that's a shame regarding the track rod end.
    Tyres soon get scrubbed away if its out of line,
    Regarding age it was just at 22 and not getting the TRE
    checked he was of age to realise that's all.
    So as Baaz says, it is his duty to ensure it is roadworthy.

Its not the end of the world but it seems like it at the time.
    Sit and wait is all he can do.
    Best of luck

Johnny M

19. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

If he had a bald tyre and he gets done so what, its no more than he deserves, if he gets away with it hopefully he will thank his lucky stars and learn from it.
    Crashed his car, replaced the trackrod ends and didn't get the tracking checked, unfortunately he sounds a numpty and deserves whatever he gets. And could do with a bit of guidance from his dad perhaps. Keep death off the roads??

20. sparky steve

sparky steve Screwfix Select

I was once pulled over by the police and the traffic officer said, "Papers?" I said, "Scissors, I win," and i drove off.
    He finally caught up with me and questioned me further.

Police officer to me :“Where do you live?”
    Me : “With my parents.”
    Police officer: “Where do your parents live?”
    Me : “With me.”
    Police officer: “Where do you all live?”
    Me : “Together.”
    Police officer: “Where is your house?”
    Me : “Next to my neighbour’s house.”
    Police officer: “Where is your neighbour’s house.”
    Me : “If I tell you, would you believe me?”
    Police officer: “Tell me.”
    Me : “Next to my house.”:)