What height would you fit a wall mount thermostatic shower / bath tap mixer?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by fizzy2, Nov 27, 2021.

1. fizzy2

fizzy2 Guest

Hi all

I'm looking for some opinion / advice please...

I have attached a picture of the type of hybrid tap/shower mixer that I'm talking about.
    It's essentially a wall mount bar shower with it's 2nd outlet as a tap, to save having both bath taps and a separate shower, plus it's all thermostatic. Maybe obvious to experienced bathroom fitters/plumbers, but this seems to create a compromise on the height that it should be mounted.

Lets say the bath rim is 550mm and you put the device just above, it would be fine for bath use but you'd have to bend down to knee height to operate it as a shower. Alternatively, if you mounted it at normal bar shower height, you'd struggle to reach it when lay in the bath.

OR, am I missing something here?

What height above the bath would you mount it? tap.jpg

2. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

I think I’d go quite low and set it as if it was just a tap, so perhaps 100mm above the bath top.

3. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

With so much choice on the market ,I would buy something other than what you have pictured ,which in my opinion is naff.

fizzy2 likes this.
  4. fizzy2

fizzy2 Guest

Thanks for your advice.

I'm not thinking of buying this actual one. I have not chosen yet. I said... I have attached a picture of the 'type' of hybrid tap/shower mixer that I'm talking about.

To clarify your opinion please - are you saying that all of this type of combined shower / bath tap are naff OR are you saying that this particular one is naff (and it what way)?

5. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Separate shower and bath mixer is best. Especially if still at the design stage.
    Will look better and operate better.
    But if you do want to go with what you propose then I would say it needs to be just above traditional tap height.

terrymac likes this.
  6. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

What Mike said ^^^^

7. fizzy2

fizzy2 Guest

In that case I half agree. We've had multi angle design pictures done for the 2 alternatives.
    The single tap/shower looks uncluttered, minimalistic & indulgent with no bath tap holes.
    However, I do agree that the duplication of 2 devices (one high, one on bath) would remove the positioning compromise.

8. JimTiler

JimTiler Member

I tend to spec Aqualisa Q Unity in this situation, especially if the shower needs to be pumped. Bath can be fitted with combined overflow filler and shower either fixed or riser head with a single control.

9. fizzy2

fizzy2 Guest

Sorry - you're way ahead of of knowledge on this. It's a HP Combi fed system.

Are you simply saying... have a separate bath tap and instead of a bar shower, you'd use an Aqualisa Q Unity shower?

Is there a picture link showing the combined configuration that you're describing please?

Update.. I've found those combined filler/overflow things - they look cool.

It would give the minimalistic uncluttered look with controls at both positions - good idea - thanks!

Can the tap be configured to operate the shower hose thermostatically though? Or would you still have to use the shower controls to wash your hair in the bath?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2021
  10. JimTiler

JimTiler Member

Like this.
    Bath fills from the combined filler/overflow.
    They make a Visage version also which tends to come out a bit cheaper.

5B686647-1DA5-4F01-AA2C-4396A0C1CF3F.jpeg

11. fizzy2

fizzy2 Guest

Thanks. Can you please explain which part controls what in terms of separate shower flow, bath flow and temperature?

Are they independent or are they connected / interact?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2021
  12. JimTiler

JimTiler Member

The round control on the wall, there are buttons for the shower and bath then you turn the outer ring for temperature.
    You can add extra remotes and also control from your phone etc.

Flow is provided through a processor which can be fitted under the bath or in the loft.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  13. JimTiler

JimTiler Member

Also check out the Mira versions.

14. fizzy2

fizzy2 Guest

Brill - so although an alterative solution, does this config still have the less than ideal positioning compromise for the controls (as per OP)? Either too high for the bath or too low for a shower control? I assumed that the overflow disk was also the control for the bath filler so got around the reaching issue?

15. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

F F S. At the rate we're going with controlling everything remotely on our mobiles people will become too fat to actually fit in the bath! Everything in my house is digital. I use my digits to control them.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
  16. fizzy2

fizzy2 Guest

Don't worry - the shower comes to you!

When I sleep walk to the bath/shower each morning, with a dim light and turn they shower on, the last thing I want to think about is another job of finding my smart phone and operating it to work the shower. Much easier to switch the shower on, have a wee, then walk in the shower. Although some people combine both activities! Technology for technology sake or am I missing something?