What is this outlet for?

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by Shaf38, May 10, 2017.

1. Shaf38

Shaf38 New Member

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

It is supposed to drain to the outside, not inside a roof, so if yor prv activates on your boiler then the water discharged will come through the ceiling.

With some thought pipe could have been relocated most likely.

3. Shaf38

Shaf38 New Member

Damn. If it traced back in to the house, canit be relocated?

4. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Its just 15mm copper so can easily be extended/moved.

KIAB likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

The pipe work will start at your boiler, then will most likely run under the floor to the outside, easy to relocate.

6. Shaf38

Shaf38 New Member

I am in panic mode now. I better do something about it immediately.

The odd thing is that none of my neighbours have this outlet. There is also a plastic pipe running from the boiler that leads externally. Could it be that the copper pipe is not in use?

7. The plastic pipe will be the condensate from the boiler.

KIAB likes this.
  8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

The plastic pipe will be 19mm & is the condensate drain connection from boiler, the copper 15mm pipe is also from the boiler & is for heating system prv (expansion relief valve), & will only operate when your boiler pressure goes above about 3 bar.

9. Shaf, don't panic.

Chust tie a plastic bag over the end to catch the water - if the wetness is the issue.

Then (a) get your PRV and boiler pressure issue sorted and (b) redirect that pipe to outside the porch.

Is it an 'open' - canopy - porch? If so, it can probably stay.

10. Shaf38

Shaf38 New Member

Here is the thing..the roof has already been built & closed off with the PRV inside...I was not at home whilst building work took place. I have never noticed any water dripping so that is a plus.

The combi boiler is in the front bedroom, first floor. I am guessing I will have to trace the pipe under the floor boards for relocation.

11. Shaf38

Shaf38 New Member

Thanks for the replies

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

If combi is located where it's next to a outside wall, then it's a simple job of drilling new hole through the wall, most easier option than lifting a floorboard.

13. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

All the above answers are correct (sort of) and helpful but the obvious answer is to get the firm / builder back that has enclose the PRV inside the roof as this is a pretty stupid idea

Was this pipe not noticed or discussed at any stage during planning and quoting or even during the build ?

Did the build end on good terms and apart from this mighty fluck up, are you happy with the quality of work ?

Suggest 1st step is to discuss this with builder (although if he has now enclosed this within porch roof he must be rather dim - good luck

14. Shaf38

Shaf38 New Member

I agree. I am a noob when it comes to these things so have little knowledge of boilers/pipes so it is partly my fault too. It's true that the builder should have picked this up.

Last thing I want to do is rip the roof up. Do you think this can be easily rectified? I will post pics of the boiler setup.

15. Shaf38

Shaf38 New Member

Having said all this, we were thinking about moving the boiler from the upstairs bedroom in to the kitchen downstairs..huge job & costs im guessing.

16. Shaf38

Shaf38 New Member

IMG_8755.JPG IMG_8756.JPG IMG_8758.JPG

This is my boiler setup. Enclosed in a cupboard.

17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Stick it in a utilty room if you have one, even garage is ok, if you can build a cupaboard around it to protect it from frost, having one in a kitchen can be a darn nusiance.

Get a few quotes for having it relocated.

18. Where does the plastic pipe come out through the wall? Plumbers usually run the copper pipe along with the plastic so's they comes out near each other - if you have the hassle of routing one, then route both.

Is you porch open-fronted - like a canopy type? If so, that pipe can stay there.

19. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Understandable on your part, that's fine but that's why we employ professional tradespeople who should know better than us (I'm only diy)

If there is still access to the pipe, then easily solved as can be extended with 15mm copper pipe and run to outside wall. Various regs on exact positioning which need to be adhered to. Basically if the PRV opens, you don't want boiling water dripping out into peeps heads !

Anyway, speak to your builder and he can't deny this needs rectifying - should be in with the initial quote as well. If he missed it, then his guide dog should have picked up on it :)

Let us know the outcome please and good luck

20. Shaf38

Shaf38 New Member

The plastic pipe runs from of the side of the boiler compartment & is connected externally to drainage:

IMG_8762.JPG IMG_8764.JPG IMG_8765.JPG

It is not an open canopy porch