What kind of Mould / Rot is this?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Clarky79, Feb 10, 2019.

  1. Clarky79

    Clarky79 New Member


    I recently purchased a house and the guy who owned it before had tried to fix a leak himself. There is a large patch of plaster on living room wall which constantly looks damp still. It has cotton wool like stuff growing out of it (pictures attached).
    Does anyone know what type of rot it is and what I can put on it to kill it until I get the builder to look at the leak. img1.jpg img2.jpg img3.jpg

  2. KIAB

    KIAB Well-Known Member

    Looks like dry rot fungus.

    Everbuild Masonry Dry Rot Treatment or similar should sort it.
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  3. gas monkey

    gas monkey Well-Known Member

    burn it away its in the spores stage so use a mask or ba
  4. Peterdevon

    Peterdevon Active Member

  5. Mr Rusty

    Mr Rusty Well-Known Member

  6. dobbie

    dobbie Well-Known Member

    Definitely looks like efflorescence.
  7. Joe the Plumber

    Joe the Plumber Active Member

    It looks like efflorescence (ie harmless) to me too.

    For goodness sake don't spray anything onto it to try to 'kill it'. If it is a fungus of some sort (which it almost certainly isn't), as soon as
    the moisture is removed (ie the leak fixed), it will die of its own accord.

    All organisms need water to live. Take it away, and they die. No need for any horrible chemicals.

Share This Page